Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Review: Misfit by Jon Skovron


Title: Misfit
Author: Jon Skovron
Author Info: Website|Journal|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Amulet Books
Publication Date: 1st August 2011
Rating: 2 stars

Tell Me About It
Jael has always felt like a freak. She's never stayed in a town for longer than a year, she's never kissed a boy, she never knew her mum, and her dad's always been super-strict, but that's probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half-demon, and most definitely not a normal sophomore at St. Mary's High School.
Jael thought she had it under control, though, until her sixteenth birthday, when a mysterious present unlocks the story of her family's dangerous history and Jael's untapped potential.
My Thoughts
Jael lives at home with her father in a converted ranch house and goes to a Catholic school.
In the first few chapters we get to look into Jaels nomadic life, constantly moving from school to school, and place to place. Never knowing anyone long enough to make friends, and when she does make friends, loosing them in the next move.

This book took a while for me to get into it and a while for me to read. 
It starts off with background information about Jael and after a few chapters we learn about her identity. 
I had to really sit and make myself read this book.  Although I found parts of it interesting eg demonology and Jael learning about her powers, I found myself skimming a lot of the pages, especially the history of Jael's birth.

When Jael was telling her friends about being half demon, they took it nonchalantly, and didn't seem to be phased about it, I was expecting big reactions of shock.

The best part about the book is the following quote, and if I had chemistry explained to me this way then I probably would have learnt more than I did.
Well you know, back in the day, there were people.  Sorcerers, witches, shamans and whatnot, who thought they were making magic potions.  But what they were really doing was chemistry.  They just didn't fully understand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...