Friday, 5 August 2011

Guest Post: Nadine Rose Larter





Nadine Rose Larter is the author of Coffee at Little Angels and has kindly agreed to do a guest post on my blog.  Thank you once again Nadine for agreeing to do a guest post.




Hi Michelle

 I want to thank you again for your kind review of my book as well as for graciously allowing me to share a bit of myself on your blog. It has been quite the journey from the opening line of Coffee at Little Angels to the place I find myself in now, and I can with all honesty say that the kindness of strangers, especially those such as yourself, has been such a heart warming gift. For this I am truly grateful.

I do honestly find talking about myself a little odd. My name is Nadine Rose Larter and I was born in a small South African town called Molteno, tucked between the mountains in the heart of the Karoo. After my last year of high school I moved with my family to the city of Port Elizabeth where I now live with my son, my fiancé, and my two step children. I’m a bit of a free-spirit and have never been happy having a “day job”. I spend my days writing, or thinking about writing. Sometimes I do a bit of work. Usually I just write and call it work.
I have always been a writer. I started writing poems and short stories when I was little, and I have intermittently kept diaries since I was about nine years old. In the last two years I have started taking my writing more seriously and have made the decision to become a full-time author. I have no formal education, aside from a year of Literature and Creative Writing study, but I am constantly trying to grow as a writer. Sometimes being a wife and mom makes fitting it all in a little tough but I am learning how to juggle it all slowly.
Next month, my first novel, Coffee at Little Angels finally comes out in paperback. I have worked pretty hard to get it all to this place and though I’ve done it mostly on my own, I would never have coped without the help of some pretty damn incredible friends and family members.



What made you want to write and get it published? 
I must be honest, I never initially set out to publish this book. All I wanted was to simply finish it. I can’t for the life of me think what happened to make me change my mind. I think it was just time to be a writer instead of always leaving it for the future. It was time to start moving forward. So I did. As for why I wanted to write it? Well, I’m a writer. That’s why.


Where you get your ideas from for Coffee at Little Angels?
I wrote Coffee at Little Angels after a high school friend of mine died in a car accident. I locked on to the idea that had he died just two or three years earlier his death would have been even more excruciating to deal with. I was devastated by the loss of course. This was the boy who gave me my first kiss. He was a sweetheart with blue eyes and a beautiful smile. And he is missed by many. Including myself. But...in my case I don’t always miss him as though he is dead. I simply miss him as someone I haven’t seen in a while. Someone who I would love to catch up with sometime, should we be fortunate enough to bump into each other in the street. It often feels simply as if we no longer live in the same town.

What’s the best way/time for you to write eg do you have a special spot you go to write or certain time of day? 
Hmmm I can barely remember what it feels like to really write anymore! I’ve been so busy getting all the ends tied up on this novel that the novel I’m working on at the moment is feeling very neglected. I write best in the mornings and in the late evening when it’s quiet. In a perfect world I would be able to get up, write until about midday. Have some lunch. Take a three hour nap, and then write until two am or something silly. Unfortunately family life doesn’t fit into perfect worlds. In reality I now just try to write as much as I can, when I can. I imagine once my little one goes to preschool it will be a little easier. I don’t really have a special spot. I have an office but I’m seldom in there. It’s cold! I tend to curl up on the couch or in bed with my laptop on my lap. My son often sits with me and watches TV while I write. I don’t mind. I quite like having him near me. Even if he is demanding and always wants me to get up and make tea!


Are you planning on writing any more books?
I am currently working on a novel called The Tequila Thursday Writing Club. It’s a rather bizarre-ish book I guess. But I am enjoying writing it and I am eager to be at a place where I can give it my full attention again. And yes – I will send you a copy as soon as it is finished J


Thanks again Michelle.

Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...