Thursday, 4 August 2011

Review: Coffee at Little Angels by Nadine Rose Larter


Title: coffee at Little Angels
Author: Nadine Rose Larter
Author Info: Website|Twitter
Genre: Contemporary
Source: From author for review
Publisher: The Katalina Playroom
Publication Date: 26th May 2011
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
What do you do when you lose a childhood friend? What do you do when you know everyone is expecting you to come home? What do you do if you don't want to?

Phillip, Sarah, Kaitlyn, Caleb, Maxine, Grant, Melanie and Josh grew up in a small town where they spent their high school years together as an inseparable clique. But high school has ended, and they are all living their own “grown up” lives, each under the impression that their group has basically come to an end. When Phillip dies in a hit and run accident, Kaitlyn summons the others to all come back home, forcing a reunion that no one is particularly interested in partaking in.

Coffee at Little Angels follows how each character deals with the death of a childhood friend while at the same time dealing with their own ignored demons after years of separation. Events unfold as the group tries to rekindle the friendship they once shared to honour the memory of a friend they will never see again.
My Thoughts
Coffee at Little Angels was sent to me from the author, Nadine Rose Larter, who contacted me regarding a review.  I read the description and thought it sounded interesting so of course I agreed to read and review for her, and I am so glad I did.
This book is typically out of my genre comfort zone, but it had me hooked from the very first sentence
"I went jogging on the morning that I died"
Coffee at Little Angels is broken up into sections that allows each person to have their own story.

We start off with Phillip and get to see how he starts each day and follow him to how he died.  Through his story we learn about what it was like growing up for him in a small town, about his friendships with others and his feeling for Sarah, who's "love for Phillip was a lot closer to simply giving in instead of the necessary love act of letting go".

Throughout the book we switch narrators between all the friends.  We learn more about what each person is doing with the "grown up" lives and how they react and deal with the new about Phillip. I love how each person personality is displayed through the writing and descriptions used.

Coffee at Little Angels made me laugh, cry and dislike some of the characters, its wraps up nicely and ends happily.

I for one will be keeping my eye open for more books from Nadine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...