Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Review: Virals [Virals #1] by Kathy Reichs

Title: Virals
Author: Kathy Reichs
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Science Fiction
Series: Virals #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Arrow
Publication Date: 12th May 2011
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
 When Tory Brennan's mother dies suddenly she is sent to live with the father she has never met on a remote island in South Carolina. Tory might find getting to know her Dad difficult, but she has no trouble making friends with the island's other teenage inhabitants: Shelton, Hi and Ben. They quickly form their own gang, united against the snobby pupils of the posh high school they all attend. Things change dramatically for them, though, when they rescue a sick wolf dog puppy who they find locked in a secret cage in a research laboratory. The four nurse him through his illness, in their bunker hideout, until he is better. But it's not long before they all fall sick. Could their illness have something to do with the puppy? And what does the head of the laboratory have to hide?
My Thoughts
When I read the description on the back of Virals I had to read it, I sent a quick request off and was so happy to have it accepted and have Virals in my hands. I love watching Bones so I knew Virals would have some link to the books that Bones is based on.  Add in the whole powers thing and it made the book that much more perfect.

This is the first book I have read by Kathy Reichs and I was not disappointed.  From the minute we start the book we are introduced to the small island of Morris Island and the inhabitants of the tiny island.  We learn about the small group of friends Tory, Shelton, Hi and Ben, and how they know each other and what their parents do, which all help in the story, as well as the popular students in the school they attend.

I love how Temperance Brennan is slipped into the story and her archaeology appropriate gifts are given to Tory for presents and how Tory is brainy but doesn't act like a nerd or geek and uses the presents to help investigate.

The friendship established between The Virals is a bond that isn't easily broken, and although they vote on things to do, in the end they all agree to do it, even if they don't really want to. There is just the right amount of scientific information in Virals to keep it interesting but not to hard to understand or take on board and is easily added into the story line.

I have been taking this book to work to read and I have been so engrossed with it that I missed an entire conversation that was about me, I seriously could not put this book down.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book my husband would love (he's big into wolves and science). Thanks for the wonderful review.

    I’m a new follower. I love your blog!
    Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ rachel i really liked it :D and thanks for the follow, will check out your blog :d

    @ Sinn, thank you *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...