Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Review: Ashes [Ashes Trilogy #1] by Ilsa J Bick


Title: Ashes
Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Horror, Dystopia
Series: Ashes Trilogy #1
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Egmont USA
Publication Date: 6th September 2011
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
It could happen tomorrow...
A cataclysmic event. An army of "The Changed."
Can one teen really survive on her own?
An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky, destroying every electronic device and killing billions. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human...
Desperate to find out what happened and to avoid the Changed, Alex meets up with Tom---a young army veteran---and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse.
This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to survive.
My Thoughts
This is the first book I have read by Ilsa J Bick, I love the cover and the blurb and requested it from Netgalley.  Request granted...but it took me a while to sit down and read Ashes. I really wish I would have sat down sooner to read.

I wasn't too sure what to expect when reading Ashes, I just hoped it would be a good read.  It wasn't a good read, it was an AMAZING read, and I finished it off in one day.

In the beginning of Ashes I just thought it was going to be about one girl who is unhappy with how life has treated her,  loosing her parents, having a brain tumour, but then the pulse happens and I was blown away. Ashes keeps twisting and turning just enough so that you can't put your finger on what is actually happening and why people are reacting differently.  Reading Ashes I was running through ideas in my mind about what was happening and I never got close to the actual reason that is eventually explained.

Reading Ashes I was hoping my e-reader would last.  It's the first time I have used it and was wishing that it would last so I could get to the end of the book and have it resolved.  My e-read lasted, but Ashes isn't resolved.  It ends on a cliffhanger that makes me need to have the next book now. Luckily another book is in the works, I just hope I don't have to wait too long.

Ashes has a lot of things going on in it, electromagnet pulses, survival, zombie-ish people, action, violence, blood, guts, love, but you don't get sidetracked, it all blends together well to make an amazing read.  Ashes is a real page turner, you should pick up a copy and take a look.

1 comment:

  1. Cool review. I've just finished reading this and thought "Wow!". I could never have guessed how it would end either.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...