Monday, 5 September 2011

Review: A Beautiful Dark [A Beautiful Dark #1] by Jocelyn Davies


Title: A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult, Fantasy
Series: A Beautiful Dark #1
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: 27th September 2011
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.
In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
My Thoughts
We start A Beautiful Dark by being introduced to Skye who is celebrating her birthday with a surprise party thrown by her friends in their local Coffee Shop. Near the end of the party two mysterious strangers, Asher and Devin, crash the party and begin to fight. The boiler suddenly explodes and the party is over.
At school the next day, Skye meets these strangers again, and discovers they are new students and unluckily for Skye, they share a lot of classes. But Skye can't shake the feeling something is not right with them, and we soon find out what it is.

What can I say about A Beautiful Dark, not only do I love the simplicity of the cover, but it is also a debut novel. From the moment I opened the book I was hooked and I had to find out what was going on with Skye's eyes, and what role do Asher and Devin play in this. I had my own theories about who or what they were, and although I was correct in my thinking, I had my ideas backwards.

I really liked the writing style of A Beautiful Dark and how the events that were happening were affecting the relationship of the characters, you could feel the tension and strain of the different relationships, and wanted it to fix itself to get everything back on track. Reading A Beautiful Dark I was rooting for Skye to make a choice that I wanted her to make, then I would find myself changing my mind and want her to make a different choice.

I really liked how A Beautiful Dark paced itself, with events happening, but didn't feel like they were rushed or forced to happen, and the end....I really liked the build up to the end and the introduction of a new character, but I really need to find out what happens next but I'm afraid I will be waiting a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...