Friday, 21 October 2011

Review: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Title: The Name of the Star
Author: Maureen Johnson
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal
Publication Date: USA:Sept 29th 2011|UK:29th Sept 2011
Description
The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities
[From goodreads]

Review

I got my copy from Waterstones and it is a signed edition. I have only just read it as I have had a lot of other books to read before getting to this one. I literally read it in one sitting, it took about 4 hours to read the entire book, I could not put it down.

I have read previous books by Maureen, which I really enjoyed, and once again Maureen has wrote another great book. From the moment I started reading The Name of the Star I was hooked. Not only did it keep me engrossed with the daily life of boarding school, but also the information about Jack the Ripper. I have heard a lot about him but didn't know a lot of the events, Maureen has done her research and after reading The Name of the Star, I know more now than I ever did.

I laughed at the different mixture of personalities in the school, and the different people Rory meets and how they are portrayed, and even the way its wrote down how they speak the words differently. I enjoyed the sideline plot of a bit of romance between Rory and another character and really can't wait to see how it develops in the next book in the series.

The storyline kept up a steady pace with enough going on that it wasn't overwhelming or too slow and I really liked how the ghosts were added into the story and how useful they are.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending, how can it end like that and have us wait for ever to see what happens next.

2 comments:

  1. Now you made me terribly curious about this book, Michelle!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Michelle! I can't wait to read this book. I feel like I've entered a million giveaways for it, and I'm ever hopeful I'll win one lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...