Monday, 3 October 2011

Review: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Title: Spellbound
Author: Cara Lynn Shultz
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date:USA:June 21st 2011|UK:21st June 2011

Description
Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Connor, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But her new posh Upper East Side prep school? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to — Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks, who is also the richest kid in school.
Even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps shatter whenever she walks by, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams. Visions of herself in past lives — visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else…
[Taken from goodreads]


Review

I got my copy of Spellbound from netgalley and have had it sitting around for a while so I thought I would give it a go.
My first impression was that I wasn't too impressed with the story itself, although the writing is good I thought that there was a lot of dodging the main point of the story and going around in circles but not really getting anywhere.  About halfway through, Spellbound started to pick up and then I was hooked.  I could not put it down.  It took me a few days to get halfway through, then I sat for 3 hours and demolished the rest.

I absolutely loved Angelique and her quirky way, but really admired how Emma chose to sit next to her on her first day in the school and how they became great friends.  Cisco was also one of my favourite characters and loved how he stuck by Emma through thick and thin and watched her back for her.

I disliked hated Kristin and Anthony.  Kristin for thinking she was the queen bee and ruled the school and doing things that, looking back on, only a desperate person would do, and although she gets a dose of reality in the end of the book, I just can't feel sorry for her.
Anthony was a real piece of work, playing around and trying to take advantage of  Ashley.  He has got to be one of the most arrogant, selfish, pig headed characters I have ever read and I am glad with what happened to him in the end of the book although there is still the question of what really happened to him, but I am sure w will see his face soon enough.

Brendan, what can I say about him.  He is the knight in shinning armour that comes to Emma's rescue time after time and I am so glad they get their happy ever after.

Hopefully when book 2 is released we will be able to see what happens next with Emma and Brendan, and since a lot of the story has already been covered, we can dive straight into the new book with no holds barred.


[Thanks to netgalley for my copy of Spellbound]

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Yep, the first few chapters are vital to a book. I still have a few that I put aside and haven't gone back to. Maybe I should give them a 2nd chance. :) Spellbound sounds interesting. I'm heading over to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review of Spellbound! I like seeing mean characters have karma catch up to them too, lol. They won't get any sympathy from me... I haven't read the novel, so it was nice reading your thoughts on it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...