Saturday, 29 October 2011

Review: Tris and Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Title: Tris and Izzie
Author: Mette Ivie Harrison
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Publication date: USA:Oct 11th 2011|UK:24th Nov 2011
Description
A modern retelling of the German fairy tale "Tristan and Isolde," Tris and Izzie is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.

Review
I have heard both good and bad things about Tris and Izzie, and when it came up on netgalley thought I would give it a try myself.

Most of Izzie's life has been a lie. Lies told by her Mother to keep Izzie safe, and lies told by Izzie to keep her boyfriend safe.  Enter Tristan, a new transfer from another school and the lies are slowly revealed. Magic is after Izzie and now she must do what she can to keep her friends and family safe, even if it means facing the enemy that killed her Father.

Tris and Izzie started off slow but about halfway through it eventually picked up and caught my interest. From then on it didn't take me long to finish the book. I enjoyed reading most of the book but I thought that a lot of it was either unbelievable or just not really relevant to the story.

I thought the friendship between Izzie and Brenna was unbelievable, although they claimed to be best friends it didn't seem like they were, and for supposedly being 'best friends' I thought that Izzie forgave Brenna far to easily and quickly for what she did. The relationship between Izzie and Mark also felt fake, like it was just pretend and not how a real relationship would be like. Again, I also felt Izzie forgave Mark too easily and quickly to actually believe she had any feelings for him at all.

The only thing that I actually felt believable was the relationship between Tris and Izzie, and although it happened far too quickly for my liking, it actually felt the most believable relationship out of them all.

Overall I thought that Tris and Izzie was an OK read, but I don't think I will be buying a copy for myself.




[thanks to netgalley for my copy of Tris and Izzie]

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds like it would be a good one, but I think I've heard more negative reviews than positive ones. If my library has a copy, I might eventually read it just out of curiosity, but I'm not in any hurry now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...