Thursday, 10 November 2011

Revew:The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron Knight
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date:USA:Oct 25th 2011|UK:6th Jan 2012
Description
My name- my True Name- is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining song of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court.
And I am dead to her.
My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl...
To cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing gentler feelings the Winter Prince might have had. Or so he thought.
Then Meghan Chase- a half-human, half-fey slip of a girl- smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer faery can survive,
With the unwelcome company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through its end- a quest to find a way to honor his vow to stand by Meghan's side.
To survive the Iron Realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. And along the way, Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
[taken from goodreads]

Review
I am so glad I have this to read after just finishing The Iron Queen, which I foolishly said was my favourite books out of the series so far.  Well I retract that statement and would like to say that The Iron Knight is now my favourite book of the series and I am totally TEAM ASH after reading it.

We follow Ash as he makes a journey to find a way to stay with Meghan, accompanied by "his fiercest and most annoying rival, Robin Goodfellow" (aka Puck) with Grimalkin and The Big Bad Wolf lending a helping hand along the way.  We got to see how Ash first met Ariella and how she  died, but also a glimpse into the reasons for Ash and Puck's feud and what their friendship was like before it all happened.

Grimalkin is up to his usual tricks but he plays a bigger and more important role in The Iron Knight.  We get to see more of The Big Bad Wolf, who some may recognise from Winters Passage, and even more familiar people when the group travel along the River of Dreams, Snow White, Mad Hatters Tea Party and some winged monkeys. 

I loved the insight into Ash's future when he is taking the gauntlet test, and it had me crying a lot, but I could not stop reading. 

I have really enjoyed reading The Iron Fey series but I can't wait to see what else Julie has to offer for us.  Julie has managed to captivate me with her ability to build an imaginary world and make it seem so real.  I have felt happiness, sadness, worry, dislike reading these books.  This series has just gotten better and better with each book and I am sad to see it come to an end, but what an unforgettable journey it was to get there. The ups and downs were like riding a roller coaster, and the further I got into The Iron Knight the more I wanted to know what happened next.

If you haven't read these books yet then you should go buy/borrow some.  I will defiantly be buying a copy of the book when it is released in the UK to add to my shelves.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, I thought it was the perfect conclusion to a fab series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a unique series and I can't wait to read more of Julie Kagawa's books - her writing and world-building are incredible.

    I'm glad you liked this as much as I did. Great review!

    Carina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...