Saturday, 26 November 2011

Review: First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Title: First Grave on the Right
Author: Darynda Jones
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: USA:Feb 1st 2011|UK:3rd Nov 2011
Description
Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.
[from goodreads]

Review
 My first thoughts when I started reading First Grave on the Right was I love how how sarcastic Charley is and she had me laughing a lot at the things she came out with.  Charley is a grim reaper and helps the dead cross over.  Charley has her own company and is a PI, not only giving her the chance to be first at the scene and investigate murders, but also to help explain her presence at them.  She also helps out her Uncle when he needs assistance in solving crimes.

I liked how the ghosts were featured in it, some of them a permanent fixture in Charley's life, and some of them she experiences occasionally.  Although she tries to help both humans and ghosts it doesn't always work out and I felt sorry for Charley when she beats herself up about it.
I was really intrigued with Reyes, a person who is there to protect Charley, but also to pay some late night visits in a shadowy form that only she can see and feel.  When Charley investigate him more and he finally reveals his secret I wanted to find out more about him, and about her so I am really looking forward to reading the next book when it is released in UK.
Darynda is a great debut author who manages to keep me engrossed in the book and really enjoy reading it.  I am counting down the days to the release of book 2

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed it, Michelle! Told you it was a great book! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...