Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Review: In Leah's Wake by Terri Giuliano Long

Title: In Leah's Wake
Author: Terri Giuliano Long
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publicist
Publication Date: USA:Oct 1st 2010|UK:1st Oct 2010
Description
The Tyler family had the perfect life – until sixteen-year-old Leah decided she didn’t want to be perfect anymore.

While Zoe and Will fight to save their daughter from destroying her brilliant future, Leah’s younger sister, Justine, must cope with the damage her out-of-control sibling leaves in her wake.

Will this family survive? What happens when love just isn’t enough?
Review
My first thought about In Leah's Wake was that it was a slow start but I soon found myself engrossed in the pages.  I wanted to find out more about why the family falls apart and why Leah acts the way she does.
My first thought about Leah was that she was selfish for acting the way she did, but the further I got into the book I realised that the actions she did may have been selfish, but all the pressure that was put upon her from her Father had some cause in it all.  When she starts mixing with the wrong people and causes a chasm between her relationship, not only with her parents but also her sister, I started to look more closely at the path she was choosing for herself and possibly with some understanding from both sides it wold not have all come crashing down on their heads and result in a big wake up call for them all.
I felt sorry for Justine, how she is forgotten about and ends up trying to keep the family together and doing more than her share of running the house.  She is abandoned by her sister who she loves and feels invisible to her parents who are more focused on Leah.

Terri has managed to write a story that is heartbreakingly real, you are pulled into their family and feel the emotions that are swimming around within the pages.  You just want to reach in the pages and give them all a shake and tell them to stop and look around at what they are doing.  I also think it is scary that there are families out there that go through this everyday and it makes me feel lucky for the family I have.

2 comments:

  1. This isn't one I've seen before.
    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of my impressions while I have learned about the book this week. That I would feel really bad for justine. Great review :)

    chelle2006@ aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...