Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Review: Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under The Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: USA:Jan 3rd 2012|UK:7th Feb 2012
Description
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers abarbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY
[from goodreads]
Review
From the moment I started reading Under The Never Sky I was drawn into the world of the Dwellers and Outsiders.  I like how the Dwellers had Smarteyes, which they used to enter Realms and existed in a virtual world, the only downside was that when confronted with 'real' things they didn't seem as bright or lacked life in it.
The Outsiders are gifted with different things, excellent hearing, sense of smell, strength etc and I really liked how these gifts were used to explain the world outside Reverie with more detail and made it easier to imagine it myself

After Aria is accused of letting a savage inside reverie and starting a fire she is literally thrown out of Reverie and left to die.  Lucky for Aria, Perry stumbles upon her outside the pods, and the unlikely duo form a partnership to help Aria get her Smarteye fixed to find her mother and for Perry to find out what happened to Tallon.  This is not an easy task, with enemies hunting them down and dangerous aether storms that are slowly destroying the tribes and the pods Aria and Perry must face this treacherous journey together.

Under The Never Sky is told in different points of view, so we get to see how each character ticks and get an insight into their thoughts and their prejudice against the other person.  I liked how the relationship between Aria and Perry was a mutual dislike towards each other, and that gradually over time it blossomed into something more.

Veronica has built a world that is so easy to fall into and get lost within the pages of Under The Never Sky.  The characters are easy to relate to, their feelings and thoughts and the measures they go through to ensure their safety.  I could not put this book down once I started and I am really looking forward to finding out what happens next for our duo.

Ten Random Facts from Veronica's website:
  1. I’ve never met a dog I haven’t loved.
  2. I’m trained as a fine artist - oils, baby. Oils.
  3. I’m on the anti anti-carb diet.
  4. I name my laptops. My current one is Romeo. Leo was the last one. I guess they all end in "eo," too.
  5. I was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
  6. My teams (I don't mean Jacob or Peeta or anything like that): GIANTS baseball. Cal Bears for college, Pittsburgh Steelers for pro football. (I hope we can still be friends.)
  7. Team Finnick. Mmm hmm. That's right.
  8. I'm a huge fan of skirts or dresses with pockets.
  9. I would like to visit Australia and China and Germany and Norway and Spain and... Yeah. I want to see it all.
  10. I'm obsessed with Laini Taylor and Kristin Cashore's books. (Bitterblue. Squeal!)

3 comments:

  1. it was an excellent boo, wasn't it? Love the random facts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second review for this today that makes me totally excited for this! LOL. Luckily I've planned to start it later this week. :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Carina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...