Monday, 30 January 2012

Review: Dark Parties by Sara Grant

Title: Dark Parties
Author: Sara Grant
Source: Publisher
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopian
Publication Date:USA:3rd Aug 2011|UK:22nd Dec 2011
Tell Me About It
Sixteen-year-old Neva has been trapped since birth. She was born and raised under the Protectosphere, in an isolated nation ruled by fear, lies, and xenophobia. A shield "protects" them from the outside world, but also locks the citizens inside. But there's nothing left on the outside, ever since the world collapsed from violent warfare. Or so the government says...
Neva and her best friend Sanna believe the government is lying and stage a "dark party" to recruit members for their underground rebellion. But as Neva begins to uncover the truth, she realizes she must question everything she's ever known, including the people she loves the most.
[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
Neva lives with her family, friends and boyfriend in the Protectosphere.  Everything is controlled by the government that runs it, who can have children, food, jobs, relationships and even edits their own history to hide things they don't want people to discover about their past.  Most people are happy with what is going on but there are a small group of people who want to resist what is happening.

I really enjoyed reading Dark Parties and although most of my recent reads weren't Dystopian, I enjoyed this change of genre.  I have not long discovered Dystopian novels, and the ones I have read so far I have loved and there is no change to my love of them after finishing Dark Parties, in fact I think I like them even more now.
From the minute I started Dark Parties I could not put it down and was sad to see it end.  I quickly fell in to the world Sara created and followed Neva's journey on the edge of my seat.  I thought Neva was a great main character and although she did things that I didn't agree with, she makes amends with her actions later on and it was easy to forgive her.  I have mixed feeling about Sanna and Braydon, sometimes I didn't like how they acted, but other times I admired the things they did to help Neva. 
I loved the ending of Dark Parties and hope a new book is in the works to continue this great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...