Monday, 9 January 2012

Review: Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Title: Forgive My Fins
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: USA:June 1st 2010|UK:1st Jul 2011
Description
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.
Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realised why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbour Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.
[from goodreads]
Review
Not only is Forgive My Fins the first book I have read by Tera Lynn Childs, it is also the first book about mermaids I have read so I was a bit wary when I began reading it as I had no idea what to expect.  But after reading the first couple of pages I needn't have worried, I was hooked straight away and found myself really enjoying the book.
I found myself laughing at the fish related phrases Lily uses when she annoyed or angry, rather than using curse words and I love the relationship she had with her neighbour Quince.  He is annoying and pestering but I doubt he truly means it in a bad way.

It was fun to get a look into the two different worlds of Lily's.  The human world where she tries to blend in and be like one of them, and her underwater world where she is a princess and although fits in effortlessly, is not a world she truly wants.

Tera Lynn Childs has managed to write a world so believable I could imagine everything that was mentioned in the pages and wished a lot of it was real.  The beauty described in Lily's mer world was amazing and I really can't wait to get stuck into the next book to see what else Terra Lynn Childs has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...