Friday, 13 January 2012

Review: Touch of Power by Maria V Snyder

Today is my turn for Maria V. Snyder's Touch of Power Blog Tour.

Not only do I have a review, but I also have an amazing animated cover for the UK version of Touch of Power, and Maria was also available to answer some questions for me.
There is also a competition to win an iPad. So after you have finished reading my review, scroll down to find more.

Title: Touch of Power
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Publisher
Publication Date:USA:Dec 20th 2011|UK:20th Dec 2011
Description
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
[from goodreads]


Review
From the moment I opened Touch of Power I dove straight into the action.  Avry is sentenced to death for healing a child, and is saved by Kerrick and his gang of ruffians Belen, Vinn, Flea and Quain for their own reasons and motives.

I enjoyed Maria's previous books and really enjoyed learning about a whole new world she has created with Touch of Power and about the different races, beliefs and magical abilities and how they worked.  Avry and Kerrick don't start off with good standing with each other, but they soon learn new things, not only about the world in which they live, but Avry also learns the truth about what she believed was right. The group partaking in this journey all learn more about themselves and each other in the process which only makes their tentative friendships more stronger and their magical abilities that much better.  I enjoyed reading the interactions of the small group with each other and found myself laughing a some parts, mainly at Flea.  He is adorable and I really liked how he became friends with Avry and slowly grew into himself.

I love Avry as the main character.  She is tough, resourcefully and managed to survive by herself for years on the run.  She also has an attitude and stands firm in her beliefs and convictions and won't do anything she doesn't want to and isn't afraid to let it be known.  But underneath the tough exterior she has a heart of gold, and the reasons she gets found out are purely for the fact she had to heal children and couldn't leave them.

The journey Avry and the pack of ruffians take is not an easy one.  It is full of danger, treacherous paths, love and loss and I can't wait to find out where this journey continues in the next book.  Anyone who is a fan of Maria should have a copy of this book on their shelves, and if you have not read any of her work then now is a good time to start.



Questions and Answers
1. Your books are based around different themes, magic, dystopian. How do you come up with the ideas?
Everything I do is all fodder for my writing. Everything! All my experiences, all the people I’ve met, all the classes I took, all the books I read, movies I watch, etc... It all is fuel for the fire of my imagination. I advise aspiring writers to go out and experience life, take classes on anything that interests them and talk to people. I have a notebook full of notes and ideas from my various experiences. I don’t lack for ideas, but for time.

2. You post short stories on your blog, how hard is it to keep track of all the different characters from the different worlds and books and do you have a system in place to help do this?
For each book, I have a notebook where I write down all the details. Things like physical descriptions, magical powers, history, research notes, etc... And for each short story, I have a file with notes written on paper and print-outs of research info. I haven’t had too much trouble keeping track. I work on one project at a time. What’s hard for me is if I switch from first person point of view to third or the other way, then I’m always messing it up. Same with tenses – I like to write my YA short stories in present tense, so when I return to my novels, I’ll use the wrong tense for a couple days.

3. Which is your all time favourite book and why?
Frederick, by Leo Lionni. It’s a children’s picture book that my mother read to me when I was little, but I’ll never forget it. It’s about a family of field mice getting ready for the winter. While the mice work hard to gather enough food for the long winter, Frederick is sitting around doing nothing as if he’s being lazy – he claims he’s harvesting the sunshine and taking in the colours. Later when the mice get bored in the winter then Frederick entertains them all with descriptions of the warm sun and summer colours. As a chronic daydreamer, I could really relate to Frederick!

4. Are there any signs of The Insiders getting a third book yet?
No signs right now. I have been getting a bunch of emails strongly requesting a third, and my daughter and husband would like more. I’d like to think I’ll return to the world in the future, but it will depend on time and interest from my publisher.

5. If you were stuck on a desert island and could choose 3 characters from any of your own books, who would you pick and why?
Avry – so she can heal us if we get sick. Janco – for entertainment and protection...but mostly for the laughs. Kade – so when we built our little raft of logs, he can conjure us a strong wind to take us home.



I love this animated cover!!!!!
A Touch Of Power Microsite

Touch Of Power has it's own microsite.  It features all of Maria’s books, the latest trailer, competitions and more.  The website address is: www.touchofpower.com, go check it out.

Create a video review of A Touch of Power and be in with a chance of winning an iPad!

Maria V. Snyder has teamed up with top teen mag Mizz to give you the chance to win an iPad and be the official book review for MizzMag TV to boot! All you need to do to enter is make a video review of A Touch of Power. MIRA Ink is giving away free review copies to the first 50 people who get in touch, so visit facebook/MIRAInk for more details on how to get involved! Also, check out Mizz Mag TV at www.youtube.com/user/MizzMagTV for an exclusive video of Maria talking about her new Healer series!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV9O3N1oUDc&feature=youtu.be

    Touch of Power Trailer!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...