Thursday, 26 January 2012

Review:Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Title:Article 5
Author:Kristen Simmons
Genre:Dystopian
Source:Publisher
Publication Date:USA:Jan 31st 2012|UK:12th Mar 2012
Tell Me About It
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved

[from goodreads]

My Thoughts
Before I start my review I would like to thank the amazing publisher who made it possible for me to get a copy of this book.  It was above and beyond what I expected and really appreciate it.

When I first heard about Article 5 I knew I had to get hold of a copy when it was published.  I love the description of it, but also the cover and if I saw it on a shop I would defiantly pick up a copy.

From the moment I started Article 5 you are put straight into the action and know what is 'right' or 'wrong' according to the Federal Bureau of Reformation and even though you have only just been introduced to the main character and her family, you don't want anything to happen to them at all.
After Ember's mum is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statute and is taken away, Ember herself is placed into a secure facility run by the Sisters of Salvation, who want all women to act and behave a certain way, with rule breakers being punished very severely.
After escaping with Chase, both are on the run to find a safe place to go and be taken away from it all.

The world Kristen has created is scary, not only because of the new rules put into place, but also that it is easy to see how things like that could and possibly do happen in real life, and it gives an insight into how our own life could possibly turn out.  I love how resourceful both Ember and Chase are in doing what they can to survive and to protect themselves and liked watching how their relationship slowly, piece by piece, began to rebuild itself after the long separation they had and even through all the ups and downs and danger involved, how they made sure the other person was safe.
I don't want to say too much about Article 5 as I don't want to give the plot away, all I can say is you need to read this book.


Kristen has managed to write a very believable story that I would not like to see ever happen in our own future, but I am really looking forward to reading what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a dystopian reader but this sounds good. I might watch a movie but read. i'm in headstart for that. enjoyed reading the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...