Saturday, 4 February 2012

Review: Fractured Light by Rachel McClellan

Title: Fractured Light
Author: Rachel McClellan
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date:USA:Feb 7th 2012|UK:8th Feb 2012
Tell Me About It
I’m dying, I thought. This was unexpected and not at all how I envisioned my death. I was supposed to die gardening in a flowerbed as a hundred-year-old woman, not as a seventeen-year-old trapped in a lake beneath inches of ice.

Llona Reese is used to living on the run. After the Vykens killed her parents, she knew they would eventually come for her too. She can’t take any chances. But when she starts to make friends for the first time in her life, she gets careless and lets her guard down. Big mistake.

As an Aura, Llona can manipulate light and harness its energy. But if she wants to survive, Llona will have to defy the Auran Council and learn to use her power as a weapon against the Vyken whose sole desire is to take her light. Now she’s caught in something even bigger than she can understand, with a power she can’t wield, and no one she can trust, except, just maybe, a mysterious stranger.
[from goodreads]

My Thoughts
My first thoughts when  I started Fractured Light was I need to find out what happens next.  I wanted to read the book as fast as I could as I HAD to know more about Llona and Christian but somewhere along the way I lost focus about what was going on and just found myself liking it, rather than loving it like I thought I would.
Llona is an aura who has taken to blending in to avoid being captured by Vykens who would steal her power for themselves.  Llona has lost both her parents and is now living with her Uncle Jake, who is only a few years older than herself, who doesn't fully understand what is happening. She has one person who she considers a friend in school, May, and that is only because they both have secrets to hide. 
Unbeknown to Llona she has been assigned a guardian, Christian, to protect her but he eventually reveals who he is and a romance is formed between them, which I think happened too quickly.  One minute she thinks he is a stalker or out to kill her, then she is falling madly in love with him, it didn't seem realistic to me at all.  Even though the relationship between Llona and Christian happened very quickly I thought it took a while for the actual story to go anywhere, when things finally started to happen it caught my interest more.  Overall I enjoyed the story but it wasn't what I expected it to be, I may even keep an eye open for the next book just to see what happens next with Llona, Christian, May and Jake.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you've just reviewed this one, I put this one on my wishlist yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...