Friday, 10 February 2012

Review: If I Die by Rachel Vincent

Title: If I Die
Author: Rachel Vincent
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: USA:27th Sep 2011|UK:3rd Feb 2012
Tell Me About It
The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies.

But the next scream might be for Kaylee.

Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life.

Anything.

[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
Kaylee has days to live, it is her time to die, but before she does she needs to find a way of getting rid of the new teacher, Mr Beck, who is an incubus and is looking to find a good body to carry a child for him.  Not only is Kaylee dealing with her death, but is also trying to keep it from Emma so she doesn't worry, and is having troubles with Nash.
On her quest to find out what Mr Beck is Kaylee visits school colleague Danica in hospital who has just suffered a miscarriage, and lost Mr Beck's child, and also pays a visit to Lakeside to speak to Farrah, who is carrying Mr Beck's child, to find out more information about him and ends up helping Lydia, a syphon, escape.

I know in my last review of a Soul Screamers book I said it was the best book so far, well Rachel Vincent has managed to blow me away with how much I loved If I Die.  From reading what I have just wrote it sounds like there is a lot going on, and although there is it is very easy to follow and keep track off.  I was on tenterhooks reading If I Die, wondering if Kaylee would make it to her last day, or if they would find a way to escape it.
I could not put If I Die down and I think I fell in love with Tod just a little bit more, and completely changed my opinion of Nash with how he acts towards Kaylee.  If I Die is a real page turner and I am loving the new twist in the story and can't wait to see how it is played out in Before I Wake, not only with the new relationship development, but with also the twist that was revealed in the end of the book.  This series just gets better and better and I can't wait to get hold of Before I Wake to see what happens next.
My favourite part of the book is the following quote...
"Did you mean it?"  His eyes churned urgently now, a collision of hunger and uncertainty.  "Was that real, or where you just granting my last wish?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...