Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Review: Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Pandemonium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Author Info:|Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook|
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopia
Source: Publisher
Format: Hardback
Publication Date:USA:Feb 28th 2012|UK:1st Mar 2012
Tell Me About It
I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.
My Thoughts
I really enjoyed Delirium so I was excited to receive Pandemonium and couldn't wait to make a start on it.  Pandemonium picks up right where Delirium left off, with Lena as she makes it to the wilds.  The chapters are split into alternating periods of time in Lena's life, 'then' and 'now'.  Then focuses on her time in the wilds and learning how to survive, now focuses on her time in the present day where she is part of the resistance.
The journey Lena makes is fraught with danger and any slip up means they could get found, they rely on others for food and provisions and as a group work hard to stay hidden, but also to know when to move on, which is a decision not taken lightly, as we discover what can happen to them. 

Lena learns to slowly trust others, Raven and the rest of the Invalids on the wilds, but also how to let herself get closer to others again.  The last pages has me sitting on the edge of my seat and I really need to find out what happens next, although I am in for a very long wait.

I really enjoyed reading Pandemonium and it was great to see how Lena has grown up.  I did feel sorry for Lena when she remembers her past, her friend Hana and Alex, but I enjoyed reading how she is learning to go on without them being there.  We get to meet new people and learn how they ended up Invalids and with new names, we get a hint of an old character from Delirium and when Lena realises the truth I was both happy and sad.  Happy because she found someone who means something to her, but sad because she didn't realise till it was too late.  As part of the resistance Lena is set a task, and in following this task ends up falling in love and risking more than her own life. Is the love she feels for this new person worth the sacrifices she makes to save him, especially after previously having her heart broken?

The minute I started Pandemonium I could not put it down and although I really hate the cliff hanger at the end I can't wait to see the reactions in book 3.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading (and loving) Pandemonium at the moment, fab review :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...