Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Review: Switched by Amanda Hocking

Title: Switched
Author: Amanda Hocking
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Source: Publisher
Publication Date:USA:Jan 3rd 2012|UK:5th Jan 2012
Tell Me About It
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth.

With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.

[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
I received Switched from the publishing company unsolicited.  I had seen it around and didn't really think enough of it to want to pick up a copy.  After reading it I have changed my mind.  Switched was not what I expected it to be and I am glad I got the chance to read it or I would have missed out on a great read.
Wendy has grown up knowing her own Mother disliked her enough to want to kill her.  After a failed attempt, her Mother is sent to an insane asylum and Wendy, along with her brother Matt, go to live with their Aunt.  Things carry on a usual until Finn, a tracker, finds Wendy and tells her the truth, that she is a Trylle and her real home is in Förening.  Finn eventually takes Wendy to her home where she discovers she is a Princess and learns more about her parentage.

Switched is the first book I have read by Amanda Hocking, although I do have a copy of Hollowland which I have yet to read, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  Amanda has created a world and different race which I have never read about in books before.  I loved how certain people had abilities and they had different types, so not everyone had the same kind, and although we get to see one of Wendy's abilities I really can't wait to see if she develops anymore.
I disliked Elora from the moment I met her, and my opinion did not change as I continued to read, but I am looking froward to seeing how she reacts to Wendy's final decision in Switched.  I loved Finn and Rhys for how they both act towards Wendy and I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the different relationships Wendy has with them.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Torn, and plan to make a start on Hollowland very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I just put a hold on it at my library. The library copy has a different color cover though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...