Friday, 2 March 2012

Review: Jenny Pox by JL Bryan

Title: Jenny Pox
Author: JL Bryan
Author Info:Website|News/Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Purchased myself
Publication Date:USA:July 24th 2010|UK:22nd July 2010
Tell Me About It
Jenny has a secret. Her touch spreads a supernatural plague.

She devotes her life to avoiding contact with people, until her senior year of high school, when she meets the one boy she can touch, and she falls in love.

But there's a problem—he's under the spell of his devious girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.

Now Jenny must learn to use the deadly "Jenny pox" she's fought her entire life to hide, or be destroyed by Ashleigh's ruthless plans.
[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
Jenny lives with her father in a small home.  They struggle to make ends meet, him taking handy jobs, and Jenny makes clay pots and bowls to sell at the Five and Dime.  Jenny has no friends and lives an isolated life, when she ventures out for school or trips to the shops she is completely covered up.  The reason for this life is Jenny can pass the plague on to anything she touches.

I have had Jenny Pox for a while but since it is kindle format can only read it on my computer, and I kept on putting it off.  After I finished Fairy Metal Thunder by the same author I knew I had to make time to read Jenny Pox on my computer.  When I started reading I did not stop until the book was over.  Although Jenny Pox and Fairy Metal Thunder are completely different genres I found myself really enjoying Jenny Pox.
I was very impressed by how strong Jenny is, not only in her ability to not be provoked by bullies, but also in her ability to maintain control over her 'curse' and never let it stop her living as normal a life as possible.  After making my way through the book  more secrets are revealed about others who also have their own 'gift' and it was interesting to she how they play out and work alongside, or opposite each other.

One person I really disliked was Ashleigh, not only do I think she is a genuinely nasty person, but she uses others insecurities to her advantage to make it better for herself and even up to the very end when all was revealed she still thought about herself, and not how her actions can hurt others.

J.L. Bryan has done a good job of making these people believable as human beings, with or without their 'gift' and I am looking forward to see what happens in the next instalment in this series.

3 comments:

  1. I've got this one on my computer, too, and I'm putting it off for the same reason you mentioned! It looks like it's time to read it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard really good things about this, so I'm glad you liked it, too. I think I have a copy on my Kindle as well and really hope to get to it sometime soon. Have to read FAIRY METAL THUNDER first though which I got for review. I'm definitely excited to read this author's work. :)

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been sitting on my Kindle for a while, I have no idea when I will find the time to read it... *sigh* I'm very pleased to hear you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...