Monday, 5 March 2012

Review: Last Breath by Rachel Caine

Title: Last Breath
Author: Rachel Caine
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Purchased myself
Format: Paperback
Publication Date:USA:Nov 1st 2011|UK:28th Oct 2011
Tell Me About It
With her boss preoccupied researching the Founder Houses in Morganville, student Claire Danvers is left to her own devices when she learns that three vampires have vanished without a trace. She soon discovers that the last person seen with one of the missing vampires is someone new to town—a mysterious individual named Magnus. After an uneasy encounter with Morganville’s latest resident, Claire is certain Magnus isn’t merely human. But is he a vampire—or something else entirely?
[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
Last Breath is the 11th book in the Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine.  Some of the previous books I have struggled slightly to read as I didn't think much was happening.  The books are based in Morganville, with one taking place outside of Morganville, and although I wanted to continue reading the series I was hesitant to make a start on Last Breath. From the minute I started Last Breath I was completely blown away and surprised with what was happening and I love it.  It's got to be my favourite book out of the series so far.

Last Breath continues with the familiar faces of our well loved characters, Shane, Michale, Eve and Claire with familiar vampires making an appearance.  It also introduces us to a new type of vampire, the Draug, which are water vampire's.  Last Breath also offers up a change in the writing style by letting other characters have their own opinion and we get to read chapters from Shane, Amelie, Claire and a few more.

I really enjoyed Last Breath and demolished it quickly and as an extra bonus the UK version of the book has a special short story from Shane called Anger Management at the back of the book.  Rachel has wrote a book that has restored my faith in the series, and even though it's based in Morganville she has kept it interesting with alternating points of view for chapters and kept me guessing about what was going to happen next.  The introduction of water vampires was something I never expected and I am really looking forward to finding out what happens next when the 12th book, Black Dawn is released in May.
Rachel manages to keep th
e unbelievable things happening to this group of friends, but is also able to make the characters not only believable but also likable and when things get tough for them you want to cheer them on and encourage them to keep trying.  No matter what obstacle is put in front of them they manage to find a way around it, but at the end of Last Breath a very big obstacle was put in their path, and I am wondering how they are going to manage to get around it this time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not this far yet but I plan to be up-to-date for Caine's UK visit!!

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the catch up!!!!! :D
    This really is the best book by a mile and this time I plan to bring ALL my books with me and not just one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting for the moment when I can get my hands on this book :D I loooove the series

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...