Saturday, 10 March 2012

Review: Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt

Title: Skin Deep
Author: Laura Jarratt
Author Info: Website|Blog
Genre:  Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback UK proof
Publication Date:USA:Mar 5th 2012|UK:5th Mar 2012
Tell Me About It
Ugly people don't have feelings. They're not like everyone else. They don't notice if you stare at them and turn away. And if they did notice, it wouldn't hurt them. They're not like real people. Or that's what I used to think. Before I learned...

After the car crash that leaves her best friend dead, Jenna is permanently scarred. She struggles to rebuild her life, but every stare in the street, every time she looks in the mirror, makes her want to retreat further from the world. Until she meets Ryan. Ryan's a traveller. When he and his mother moor their narrow boat on the outskirts of a village, she tells him this time it will be different. He doesn't believe her; he can't imagine why this place shouldn't be as unwelcoming as the rest. Until he meets Jenna. But as Jenna and Ryan grow closer, repercussions from the crash continue to reverberate through the community. And then a body is found...
[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
I have had my eye on Skin Deep since I first heard about it and was excited to receive a copy in the post from the publisher and as soon as my current read was finished I dove straight in an was not disappointed.

Skin Deep is a book that not only focuses on finding love against the odds, but also about finding your strengh hand belief in yourself to pick yourself up and carry on, no matter what is in your way.
Jenna is suffering for various reasons after a disfiguring car accident, while Ryan, a traveller, faces prejudice against what he is and his way of life. 
From the minute I started I was hooked and I loved the interaction between Ryan and Laura and I really liked how we treated her and never once let her scars get in the way of what he saw and always treated her like a normal person.  I adored Ryan's Mum and how she acted towards Jenna but I felt so sorry for her and Ryan when she had an episode.

The more I read of Skin Deep the more I fell in love with all the characters, Jenna is such an inspiration to everyone how she picked herself up and, although warily at first, carried on with her life.  Ryan is a person who everyone should be like and how they should deal with things in life.  The characters are believable and even the flaws in judgement some of them make, its easy to see the reasons why.  The background plot of the vandalism and murder fitted in seamlessly with the main plot and made it all an enjoyable read

I really admire Laura for writing an amazing book that deals with a lot of problems people deal with, but deals with in a respectable way for all and I can't wait to see what else Laura offers in the future.  Skin Deep is a must read and Laura is an author that should be on everyones radar.

4 comments:

  1. I cant wait to read this one, so many people are saying its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So gald you have it on you IMM :)

      Delete
  2. These types of books are normally it or miss for me. I sometimes get sad when i read serious books and it puts me in a funk but your review makes me really want to check this one out. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really great read, you should check it out!!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...