Saturday, 10 March 2012

Review: Starters by Lissa Price

Title: Starters
Author: Lissa Price
Autho Info: Website|Book website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopia
Source: Netgalley
Format: eBook
Publication Date:USA:March 13th 2012|UK:29th March 2012
Tell Me About It
Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . .
My Thoughts
In Callie's world there are Starters and Enders.  Starters are young children, Enders are older people who are living past 100 years of age.  Anyone in between this age group did not qualify for a vaccine and were killed in the Spore Wars. 
Callie has to look out for herself and her brother after her mother dies after being contaminated by a spore and her dad is taken away for being in contact with her Mum.  They move from place to place, hiding as long as they can before moving along to avoid being captured.
Struggling to survive with what little they have left Callie ends up leaving her brother Tyler, in the capable hands of Michael, their friend, and decides to go to Prime Destinations and allows her body to be rented out to get money for herself and Tyler.
Soon Callie realises something is wrong with her chip and ends up trying to prevent a murder.  After it all goes wrong Callie soon finds allies in unlikely places who will help her cause.

I liked the idea of this story, and although it makes for a great read I would be in two minds whether I would do it myself, I think I would have to be desperate and use it as a last resort like Callie did.
The twists and turns throughout the book and added element of never knowing when the renter would make an appearance, kept me on my toes and wanting to keep reading to find out what happens next.
I loved all the characters in this book, I can't say that I disliked any of them, other than the owner of Prime Destinations, and it was easy to feel sorry for the struggle Callie has to go through daily in order to just survive.  The allies Callie makes had me laughing at some of the phrases they used trying to speak like a Starter and I really enjoyed how each one had their own distinct personality.

Lissa has gone an amazing job in writing Starters and it shows in the way it makes you want to read more and never stop.  Starters is a series I am defiantly following and I am eagerly awaiting the next book, Enders, due winter 2012.

2 comments:

  1. oooo you got me even more interested in this book! I have it on my tbr and I cant wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. After I read the description of it I had to read it and I am so glad it didn't disapoint. :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...