Thursday, 29 March 2012

Review: Torn by Amanda Hocking


Title: Torn
Author: Amanda Hocking
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: USA:Feb 28th 2012|UK:1st March 2012
Tell Me About It
Acknowledging that she was different from everyone else wasn’t difficult for Wendy Everly – she’d always felt like an outsider. But a new world and new family is a hard for any girl to accept easily.

Leaving behind the mysterious country of her birth, she is determined to fit back into normal life. But the world she’s left behind won’t let her go that easily. Kidnapped and imprisoned by her true family’s enemies, Wendy soon learns that the lines between good and evil aren’t as defined as she thought. And those things she’d taken for granted may have been lies all along. With the help of the dangerously attractive Loki, she escapes back to the safety of Förening – only to be confronted by a new threat.

It’s time to make a choice – can she put aside her personal feelings for the sake of her country? Torn between duty and love she must make a choice that could destroy her one chance at true happiness.
[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
I really enjoyed reading Switched, the previous book to Torn and couldn't wait to make a start on Torn.  It picks up straight where Switched left off so we don't lose any time which makes it easy to jump straight back into Wendy's world.
Torn starts off in the human world,where Matt is getting to meet Rhys and starts to find out some of the truth, but soon we are taken back to Förening when Wendy, Matt and Rhys are kidnapped by the Vittra and put into a dungeon.  Not only does Matt learn the truth about what Wendy really is, but Wendy gets some shocks herself when a family relation reveals themselves.  When Wendy escapes back to the palace she is faced with a new problem.  Not only does the Queen end up with a new hostage, but Wendy also has to tackle some new obstacles, like her upcoming birthday and wedding.
I enjoyed Torn more than I did Switched.  We get to see Wendy in a more active role as Princess and how she learns not only more about her people, kingdom and it's history, but also about her abilities, and with the help of Tove, she is able to practise her new skills.  I also enjoyed getting to know the secondary characters more which made me dislike Elora even more than I did already, but I loved Wendy's new guard, Duncan.  He had me laughing a few times while reading with his mannerisms.
The only thing I didn't like about Torn was the ending, I read the last sentence and turned the page to find there was no more left, and I was left very disappointed so I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Ascend, to find out what happens next.

Amanda has once again done an amazing job at keeping me engrossed in the pages of a book.  The world building just continues to get better, and we get to 'see' more of the world she has created.  The characters are more likeable (most of them) and I really was disappointed to reach the end of the book.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I've yet to read anything by Amanda Hocking but I've seen her name pop up a lot in the last few months. Another series for my every growing TBR list I think :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...