Sunday, 1 April 2012

Review: All these Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin


Title: All These Things I've Done
Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: USA:Sept 6th 2011|UK:29th March 2012

Tell Me About It
In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet, for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant D.A.'s son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidently poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly, Anya finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight--at school, in the news, and most importantly, within her mafia family.
[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
I have had my eye on All These Things I've Done for a while so was really excited to receive a copy from the publisher.  My excitement was soon short lived and I found it hard, not only to focus on the book but also to connect with the main character.  I persevered when I usually would have just given up on the book and soon found my disappointment to be short lived and found myself really enjoying All These Things I've Done.
There is not much to say to explain All These Things I've Done, the synopsis says it all so I am just going to jump straight into my review.  After finally getting pulled into Anya's world I have to say I really hate one thing, coffee being illegal.  Chocolate I can leave but to have no coffee would be awful, I live off coffee.  Although All These Things I've Done is set in 2083 it does not feel like it is so far in the future as a lot of things happening in the book seem like they are happening now, so in that aspect it was easy to actually believe the world Gabrielle has created.

I liked the characters, and although I wouldn't say Anya was my favourite, I did like Natty and Scarlet.  Win is someone who I never actually made up my mind about, I felt like he was hiding something but I am not sure what or for what reasons so I never fully trusted him.  I really admire Anya for doing what she does.  Throughout the whole book we see her take charge and look after her family, making decisions that she shouldn't have to make and acting as an adult, rather than enjoying her youth and teenage years while she can.  She is living in a tough world and has to make sure she is not seen as weak in front of her family and enemies, which takes a lot of guts to do.

Gabrielle Zevin has created characters that are believable in every sense of the way and a world that pulls you in and makes it easy to believe this could happen.  Although All These Things I've Done probably isn't my top reads so far I am looking forward to see where Gabrielle takes these characters in the next book.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same about Win, I loved this book but there was something about him! I cant wait for book two!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...