Thursday, 26 April 2012

Review: Eden's Root by Rachel Fisher


Title: Eden's Root
Author: Rachel Fisher
Author Info:Website|Blog|Twitter
Genre: Dystopia
Source: Author
Format: eBook
Publication Date: 17th December 2011

Tell Me About It
It is 2033, and the world hovers on the edge of explosion as unexplained crop deaths lead to severe global food shortages. In the United States, the Sickness is taking lives slowly, creeping its way into every family. Fi Kelly has already faced the Sickness in her own family, toughening her beyond her years. But a shocking confession from her dying father will push her toughness to its absolute limits. Saddled with an impossible secret and the mission of saving her little sister, Fi sets out to transform herself into the warrior that she must become to survive the coming collapse. Along the way, she will discover that evil can be accidental and that love can be intentional.
[from goodreads]

My Thoughts
I will admit that I have seen Eden's Root around and when the author contacted me regarding a review I quickly accepted but due to other reviews have only just got around to actually reading it.

Eden's Root follows Fi whose Dad secretly worked on Diaspora project, which made the safe havens for people to go and stay, but due to sickenss was taken of list along with family and now after he has passed away Fi, her sister Kiara and Mum leave home looking for Eden.  Along the way they pick up new people who become part of the family.  Together they make the perilous trek across the country looking for Eden.

I was pleasantly surprised when I began reading Eden's Root.  Although the book is primarily a Dystopian book, it also tackles issues about family, friends and even problems with the food we are eating.  The food that is being eaten is slowly killing people and making them sick, (sickfoods) and only Heirloom (truefoods) are safe to eat as they have not been altered or modified in anyway, but they are few and far between, with game being one of the safe foods.
Fi is a very strong person, she is only young and has given herself the task to help keep her family safe and alive, but is not afraid to do what she has to do to ensure this, whether it be trading with others, scavenging for supplies or even fighting to the death. She not only helps her own family, but also allows others to join their group and each individual is treated like part of the family, even if they were stranger a few days beforehand.  She is wise and brave beyond her years and I really wish I could say I could do what she did, but I doubt that I could.

I loved the friendship she has with Sean and how it is easy for them to be around each other and he was the first person she trusted to tell what was going on.  Asher, what can I say about him.  Super skilled with swords, enjoys spending time with Kiara and Maggie, Fi's Mum.  He sounds perfect and I am really looking forward to seeing how their relationship develops in the next book

Although the journey they take is tough and draining, both physically and emotionally I loved how they all banded together and helped look after the young or sick members of the family and a few times the actions of the group brought tears to my eyes.  Eden's Root has enough going on in the pages to pull you in and keep you there till the end.  It does not lack in anything, and although it is bad times the natural scenery described sounds wonderful and would be perfect if you weren't fighting to survive.

There is another side to Eden's Root though,and it made me think about what foods I actually eat myself and how it could be affecting my own body.  I would love to say I could give up on all the processed food I eat, but I know I couldn't, but I will consciously be aware of what I am eating now and try that much harder to eat better, especially if Eden's Root is a look into the future.

Rachel Fisher has done a great job of writing a truly realistic Dystopian novel and I wish I hadn't read it so soon, because now I have to wait ages to find out what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...