Saturday, 21 April 2012

Review: In Honor by Jessi Kirby

Title: In Honor
Author: Jessi Kirby
Author Info:Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publicist via author
Format: eBook galley
Publication Date:USA:May 8th 2012|UK:8th May 2012
Tell Me About It
Honor receives her brother's last letter from Iraq three days after learning that he died, and opens it the day his fellow Marines lay the flag over his casket. Its contents are a complete shock: concert tickets to see Kyra Kelly, her favorite pop star and Finn's celebrity crush. In his letter, he jokingly charged Honor with the task of telling Kyra Kelly that he was in love with her.
Grief-stricken and determined to grant Finn's last request, she rushes to leave immediately. But she only gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn's best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn't seen him in ages, thanks to a falling out between the two guys, but Rusty is much the same as Honor remembers him: arrogant, stubborn. . . and ruggedly good looking. Neither one is what the other would ever look for in a road trip partner, but the two of them set off together, on a voyage that makes sense only because it doesn't. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn--but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?
[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
I read the blurb of In Honor and had to read it.  I contacted the author who directed me to her publicist who sent me the link for the galley grab.  It took a while for me to actually get the link to work but eventually it did.  Anyway, I loaded it up and intended to make a start on the first chapter or two then go back to my current eBook.  I didn't.  I ended up staying up till after midnight and finished In Honor in one sitting.

We start In Honor at the funeral of Honor's brother, Finn, who was killed in war.  We get an insight into what Honor is feeling and all the emotions going through her mind.  At home she discovers a letter off her brother, which had been sent before he was killed, and she makes the decision to open it.  Inside is a letter and tickets to go and see Kyra Kelly in her last ever concert.
Making the decision to drive Finn's car to California she sets about packing for college and getting ready for the trip.  Before she leaves she unwillingly picks up a travel partner, Rusty, her brothers friend, who she hasn't spoken to or seen for a while.
Their journey together is bumpy and emotional, but they both learn new things, not only about each other, but also about Finn.

In Honor is an emotional poignant book.  In the first chapter alone I was crying, this continued throughout other parts of the book.  The story is told from Honor's point of view so we get a first hand look at her emotions and feelings about what is happening and how she grieves for her brother.  We get glimpses into her past and how her youth was spent in the company of Finn.  It was interesting to see how he feelings changed as the journey was coming to an end, even more amusing when she had been drinking and we get an unedited view into her mind

Although In Honor has some emotional parts in it, I enjoyed reading it and I loved how Rusty counter acted Honor's seriousness and we had some great comedic moments from him.  The places they visit along the way sound amazing and make me want to visit them.  In Honor is the first book I have read by Jessi Kirby and I intend to make her an author I watch out for.



Have you read In Honor or any other books by Jessi Kirby, what were your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like the perfect novel for when I'm in the mood for an emotional read. Books that can make you cry are often the best ones, no matter how sad they might make you feel - it just shows how wonderful the author is.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks a lot for sharing your review - I planned on reading this for a while now, so I might have to pre-order a copy ASAP. :D

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one sounds awesome, Its on my wish list and I can't wait to get hold of it! thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...