Thursday, 12 April 2012

Review: The Pledge [The Pledge #1] by Kimberly Derting


Title: The Pledge
Author: Kimberly Derting
Author Info:Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook|Tumblr
Genre: Young Adult
Series: The Pledge #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Allison & Busby
Publication Date: 26th March 2012
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.
My Thoughts
I have heard lots of good things about The Pledge, and although I have only read a few chapters of The Body Finder I really enjoyed what I read, so when The Pledge came up on the publishers website I sent of a request not expecting to get a copy and was very happy to have it arrive in my mail a few weeks ago.

The main protagonist Charlaina, lives with her vendor family and attends school with her friends Aron and Brooklyn.  In order to keep the classes in their place a law is in place, each class has their own language and they are not allowed to speak or even be able to understand any other language other than their own.  But Charlaina is hiding a secret, she can understand every language that she comes across, but if her secret is discovered she could face execution.

From the moment I opened the pages and began reading I was hooked, and by the third chapter I did not want to put it down.  The Pledge is a book that takes place in the country Ludania, where only a queen rules. The current Queen Sabara is slowly dying and not only does a new heir have to be found, but Sabara must also keep her city safe from Queen Elena forces and attacks from the Resistance.

The Pledge is told in different points of view, Charlaina, the Queen and even the mysterious Max and Xander.  Although I enjoyed getting a look into the Queens mind, it was intriguing to get into Max and Xander's minds and find out what they were up to, but it's not until I was near the end of the book that it is all revealed and how they are important to the story.  Charlaina is a great leading role in The Pledge.  She is an everyday working girl that always tries to do what is right and even when the truth is revealed she tackles it head on and doesn't let anything get in her way.  She is a loyal friend to Aron and Brooklyn and is even willing to risk her body and life for them, even after Brooklyn's secret is revealed.

I absolutely loved the mystery and suspense when reading The Pledge and I could not turn the pages fast enough to find out what was happening next.  The world Kimberly has created and it's laws and language had me hooked straight away.  The characters are realistic and their expectations in life are similar to ours at their age.  I had to drag myself away each time I had to put the book down and I am eagerly awaiting the release of the next book in the series with bated breath.

1 comment:

  1. Because I had to wait so darned long for the UK paperback, I kinda forgot about this book. Thanks for reminding me about it! It really does look good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...