Saturday, 28 April 2012

Review: Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelle Coriell

Title: Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
Author: Shelley Coriell
Author Info:|Website|Blog|Facebook|
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
Source: Netgalley
Format: eBook
Publication Date:USA:May 1st 2012|UK:1st May 2012
Tell Me About It
Big-hearted Chloe Camden is the queen of her universe until her best friend shreds her reputation and her school counselor axes her junior independent study project. Chloe is forced to take on a meaningful project in order to pass, and so she joins her school's struggling radio station, where the other students don't find her too queenly. Ostracized by her former BFs and struggling with her beloved Grams's mental deterioration, lonely Chloe ends up hosting a call-in show that gets the station much-needed publicity and, in the end, trouble. She also befriends radio techie and loner Duncan Moore, a quiet soul with a romantic heart. On and off the air, Chloe faces her loneliness and helps others find the fun and joy in everyday life. Readers will fall in love with Chloe as she falls in love with the radio station and the misfits who call it home.
My Thoughts
Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe is about a girl called Chloe who goes from having friends and popularity to being an outcast with whispers and rumours behind her back.  To make matters worse as part of her JISP she has to work on the school radio, which is safe haven for other outcasts, but also on its way out with failing equipment and loss of funding.  The appearance of Chloe is a surprise for the outcasts and they make it clear she is unwanted there, but soon they find out what she can do for them and the radio.
Although I have this blog for books, I do tend to end up reading similar genres, and I will admit if I saw this book in the shop I probably would not pick it up.  But once I started reading I could not stop and manged to finish the book in one sitting. 

I thought Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe was a light but refreshing read and I really enjoyed it.  Shelley has managed to write a captivating book that sucks you right in and doesn't let go until the end. 
I cheered Chloe on when she was making a stand for herself, and felt sorry for her when all the rumours were spread about her and the hate campaign against her began.  I was pleased to see the radio team finally accept Chloe as one of them and loved how they bounced ideas off each other to get people listening to them.  The dynamic relationship between the radio group had me laughing a lot, each character had their own personalities and quirky ways and it was easy to feel like they were real people and not just characters in a book.  I will be keeping my eye open for more books by Shelley.


Have you read this book?  What did you think of it?

3 comments:

  1. cool
    i can't wait for my copy
    rad review
    contemp rocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review; I enjoyed this one too, and like you it wouldn't necessarily have jumped out at me in book shop. I kept wondering if there would be something Chloe would do to strike back because of all the rumours, but I like the way things played out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one as well and also couldnt put it donw, I tend to really like books like this so I knew I would enjoy it! Abrams have another called Reel Life, Starring Us by Lisa Greenwald that I loved and really recomend

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...