Thursday, 10 May 2012

Review: Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig


Title: Blackbirds
Author: Chuck Wendig
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Tumblr
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: USA:April 24th 2012|UK:24th April 2012

Tell Me About It
Miriam Black knows when you will die. She’s foreseen hundreds of car crashes, heart attacks, strokes, and suicides.

But when Miriam hitches a ride with Louis Darling and shakes his hand, she sees that in thirty days Louis will be murdered while he calls her name. Louis will die because he met her, and she will be the next victim.

No matter what she does she can’t save Louis. But if she wants to stay alive, she’ll have to try.
[from goodreads]


My Thoughts
The first thing that drew me in was the cover, if a cover looks like this then I have to look closer and was pleased to see the synopsis sounded just as good as the book looks.
Miriam is unlucky to be gifted with the power to foresee others deaths.  After skin on skin contact she will get a 'vision' of how and when they die.  After meeting Louis and seeing how he dies, knowing she is present, she tries her hardest to stay away at all costs.  But fate had other plans an not matter how hard she tries she always ends up bumping into Louis again.  When push comes to shove she does all she can to try to save him, but will it be enough?

Blackbirds is violent, gory and doesn't hold back on the detail.  Miriam is tough and is not afraid to stand up for herself and can easily hold her own in a fight.  She is blunt and is not afraid to speak her mind, some of the language she uses is crude with a lot of curse words but I found her funny and a refreshing chance.  I did feel sorry for Miriam and how she has had to live her life with this 'gift' but I did not like how she used it to her advantage when others died, even though it was to keep her alive.

I liked how the chapters were not solely in Miriam's point of view, and I liked getting a look into the minds of others, getting to see what Ashley is hiding and why Harriet is the way she is.  Most of all I really enjoyed the glimpses into the future about how a person is going to die, the exact date, time and how and I know if it was happening to me I would probably lock myself up in a room to avoid contact with others.  I also enjoyed the funky dreams Miriam has, they are creepy and don't make sense but actually fit Miriam personality.

From the moment I started Blackbirds, not only was I drawn in straight away, but when I finished chapter 3 I didn't want to stop reading.  Chuck Wendig has wrote a book that drags you in and doesn't let go till the very end and I really need to find out what happens next.  Luckily the next book is due for release later this year.



Read an extract of the book below, please be aware that some language used is not suitable for young readers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...