Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Review: Fated by Alyson Noel


Title: Fated
Author: Alyson Noel
Author Info:Website|UK Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Format: UK proof copy
Publication Date: USA:22nd May 2012|UK:24th May 2012

Tell Me About It
Strange things are happening to Daire Santos. Crows mock her, glowing people stalk her, time stops without warning, and a beautiful boy with unearthly blue eyes haunts all her dreams. Fearing for her daughter’s sanity, Daire’s mother sends her to live with the grandmother she’s never met. A woman who recognizes the visions for what they truly are—the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker—one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.

There on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico, Daire sets out to harness her mystical powers. But it’s when she meets Dace, the boy from her dreams, that her whole world is shaken to its core. Now Daire is forced to discover if Dace is the one guy she's meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy
[from goodreads]

My Thoughts
I have really enjoyed Alyson Noel's previous books so the minute I heard about Fated it was on my 'to-read' list on goodreads, and when I was contacted by the publisher regarding a review copy I jumped at the chance.  Fated is not only a new place, but also a whole new list of characters that I enjoyed getting to know.  After visions cause Daire to be physically restrained, her mother has the choice of sending her to an institution, or sending her to her grandmothers, someone who has not contacted or seen either of them for years.  Soon Daire is packed up and sent to Enchantment to live with her Grandmother who eventually tells her the truth about her visions, she is a Seeker and must begin training before it's too late.

Enchantment sounds like it would be a nice, quaint place to live in but I possibly would not have liked to live there if I was Daire's age.  After her initial meltdown I think Daire deals with it quite well.  Having been thrown into the deep end and getting to know family members can be a lot to handle for anyone and I think Alyson has done a great job of portraying Daire's feelings and thoughts about the matter.

I loved getting to now the new characters and especially loved how Cade and Dace are alike but opposites at the same time and it was fun to see the interaction and development between these characters and Daire.  Daire was an easy character to sympathise with and hope for everything to work out.  She has to leave her life of travelling and mingling with stars to live in a podunk town with her Native American Grandmother who she has never met in her life and has to learn their way of life and their culture.  Even starting school is a giant step for Daire, and it was easy to feel her nerves at this new step in her life, but I loved how she stood up for herself and took no messing off the popular crowd.  My favourite character has to be Xotichl.  She has her own unique ability and I thoroughly enjoyed every page she was one.  I never knew what she would do or say next and she even had me laughing at some things she comes out with.

The only thing I did not like was that I felt like there were a few lulls in story.  Some things were needed to advance the plot and characters to where they needed to be, but then I felt like there was a gap where nothing happened then suddenly there is action and something going on.  This could also be due to the fact that a lot of information needs to be portrayed in order for the book to make sense since it doesn't have any previous books to carry on from.  However I am still anticipating the release of the next instalment in this series, and since all the back story and foundation is in place, I am also hoping there will be more going on.

1 comment:

  1. I've always been half and half with Noel's books but I'm looking forward to giving this one a try. I believe I have a proof copy somewhere. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...