Friday, 11 May 2012

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


Title: The Goddess test
Author: Aimee Carter
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: USA:April 19th 2011|UK:16th Sept 2011

 Tell Me About It
EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...


My Thoughts
I have had my eye on this book since it was released so was very excited to have received both The Goddess Test and Goddess Interrupted from the publisher to review in my own time.

The Goddess Test starts with Diana and Henry having a disagreement over girls that have failed.  It's all very mysterious and not much is revealed about who these characters actually are.  Jump to the present and we are introduced to Kate, who is driving her sick Mum back home to Eden, Michigan, to live out her last days.  Soon Kate finds out that all is not what it seems and the mysterious boy she sees on a drive has secrets she never believed could be real.

I loved Kate immediately.  She is selfless and kind and quick to forgive others, even offering up a trade when others probably would not have.  I really admire how strong she is, to have to help her sick Mum with no Father in sight, go through all the pain of hospitals appointments, treatments and basically watching her Mum waste away.  I was quite emotional through parts of this (mainly due to personal reasons) but I found myself enjoying it.

When we meet James I liked him immediately and thought he was perfect for Kate, he even helped her through a few things even though he hadn't known her long, but as soon as I found out his secret my opinion of him started to fall.   Henry, who I was never sure if I liked or disliked, quickly made an impression on me.  He is as honest and open to Kate as he can be, and soon decides that she can leave if she want's, even if it means he fades away.  The more we get to know him and see how he interacts with Kate made me like him just a little bit more, and by the end of the book it was love :D

Throughout the book I was kept guessing who the murderer was and I never guessed who it was until just before it was revealed and I was shocked.  I partially suspected others but not once did this person enter my mind as being able to do this.  Not only did they fool the characters they also fooled me.

I enjoyed The Goddess Test from page one and quickly read it and I am glad I have Goddess Interrupted on hand to read as I don't think I could wait ages to find out what is going to happen next.
I also found the list at the back of the book of which character was which God very handy and often referred back to it.  The only problem is I am not quite up to speed about which God/Goddess is which, so I might do some quick research before I start the next instalment in the series.  Overall The Goddess Test is a quick read that kept me entertained and I am really looking forward to following this series till the end.

2 comments:

  1. I like the sort of books where you find out you're wrong about who the culprit is! Total bonus to have likeable characters too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really shocked about the murderer's identity as well!
    I'm happy you enjoyed it so much and can't wait to hear what you think of the second book. Hope you'll like it, too! :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...