Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa


Title: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
Author Info:Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: USA:April 24th 2012|UK:4th May 2012

Tell Me About It
In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
[from goodreads]

My Thoughts
Allison Sekemoto live in the Fringe, the outskirts of New Covington, struggling to survive with a group of Unregistereds like herself, Stick, Rat and Lucas.  The Unregistereds dont exist and are not allowed food rations, having to scrounge and scavange food for themselves and avoiding vampires at all costs.  The vampires are in charge and have no qualms about showing their authority to humans who make a mistake, by public hangings.  After a hunt for food goes wrong and Allies friends are lost to the Rabids and suffering an attack herself, Kanin finds her and gives her the option to die, or be saved.  Choosing to be saved Allie is changed into a vampire and we get to see how she adjusts to her new life and what happens when their peaceful existence is shattered.

I loved Julie's Iron Fey series and have been looking forward to reading The Immortal Rules since I first herd about it.  I was slightly worried that it would not live up to her previous work, but I need not have worried.  I thoroughly enjoyed The Immortal Rules from the beginning, and found it just got better and better the further I got into it.

I really liked the first hand experience of how the world changes in Allie's eyes, and it felt like I was on a long journey alongside her to escape the vampires hunting her.  I thought it was convenient for Allie to stumble upon a group of travellers that only travel through the night and allow her to join their group, but it worked well with the story and I love the large variety of personalities in the group.
I loved Zeke from the moment he was introduced and I loved watching the tentative friendship develop between him and Allie, and even though there are a few obstacles to climb and prejudices to get over, I really admired Allie for jumping straight in to rescue the group, even after she is outed as a vampire and evicted from the group.

Allie, human and vampire, is a great character.  She is true to herself throughout the book and constantly thinks of others before herself, even going as far to sacrifice her own food supply to feed her friends.  She is a fighter and knows what she wants and nothing will stand in her way of stopping this.  We get to see her fight stronger and older vampires than herself for the sake of saving the human lives and through thick and thin she is always there to help.
Although the ending was unexpected I loved it and I really need to read the next book now to find out if Allie finally finds what she is looking for.

In my eyes Julie Kagawa has wrote another hit book and The Immortal Rules will proudly stand next to my small collection of books that I would happily re-read.  Now all I have to do is wait till next year to find out what happens next.

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant review - I really like the sound of this one - vampires returning to their normal selves - yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm glad you loved it! I thought it was quite brilliant. I haven't read Julie's Iron Fey series yet but I own book one and I really should get around to it. Everyone has good things to say about her books. Lovely review, Michelle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. Glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There, now that's a book that seems to treat vampires like the scary things they are! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...