Thursday, 3 May 2012

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth


Title: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
Author Info: Blog|Twitter|Facebook|Tumblr
Genre: Dystopia/Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: May 1st 2012

Tell Me About It
One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
[from goodreads]

My Review
I finished Divergent last year and have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Insurgent.  Part of me was very excited to find out what happened next, but the other part of me was worried that Insurgent wouldn't live up to my very high expectations.  I am very pleased to say Insurgent blew my expectations away and that I should not have had a single worry at all.

Before I begin with my review I want to alert you to

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR DIVERGENT AND INSURGENT IF YOU HAVE NOT READ ANY YET**


Insurgent picks up straight where Divergent left off. Tris trying to deal with the aftermath of what transpired, but also trying to prove she can still do this, that she can pick herself up and carry on like any other Dauntless would. Members of the factions are dealing with the aftermath, either joining up with other factions for safety, or joining up with them for revenge.  Insurgent takes us on a roller coaster journey as we watch the events play out and get to see what truly makes Tris Divergent.

As I slowly made my way through Insurgent, I could see how it was affecting the relationship between Tris and Four, and I didn't like what I was reading.  I know not all relationships are roses and sunshine and I really wanted this couple to have a relationship like this, but after everything they have both been through I know it was unrealistic of me to expect this, and once I realised this then I felt slightly better about what was going on between them and even more better when they finally resolved things.
I really admire Tris for a lot of reasons.  She tries to be brave and continue on like nothing has happened and although it takes a while for her to break down and actually deal with her feelings about what happened in Divergent, when she does it's spectacular, the feelings of grief and sadness and loss that are portrayed are so gut wrenchingly real that I had to pause to regain myself before continuing on, but she picks herself back up again and carries on.  Throughout Insurgent she is true to herself, and although some paths that she chooses are the wrong path to follow she compensates for what is happening and always comes out the other side a better person for learning more about herself, but also a better part of the team having information for them that will help their crusade.

I really enjoyed getting to see Four, Tris, Caleb and many others outside of their own factions and comfort zones.  Getting to see how they interact with other factions and meeting old friends.  I loved any part that had Edward and his eye patch in and will admit to laughing out loud at his 'painted eye' patch.  I nearly cheered when Peter helps out to make the score even again and I really liked how he was told he didn't have to owe anything, that it could be helping a friend out without expecting anything in return.  We finally get to meet Four's Mum, and although she helps out in winning this part of the war, I still think she has got ulterior motives and has something hidden up her sleeves.

After reading Divergent there are people that I did not like, but have managed to change my mind in Insurgent.  Some people I did like I do not like any more, one of them being Caleb, but you will have to read Insurgent to find out why I don't like him any more.

There are so many things I LOVED about Insurgent that if I wrote them all down this post would take up the whole screen.  To write it down quickly after reading Insurgent I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next and also what Amity are going to do next.  I need to read the next instalment yesterday and not next year.  Veronica Roth has outdone herself with Insurgent and it is so much better than I expected.

I thought I would also add a quote that I really liked at the bottom of this review.

I thought that in order to give my life in exchange for Will's, in exchange for my parents', that I needed to die, but I was wrong; I need to live my life in the light of their deaths.  I need to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...