Monday, 28 May 2012

Review: New Girl by Paige Harbison


Title: New Girl
Author: Paige Harbison
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: USA:Jan 31st 2012|UK:4th May 2012

Tell Me About It
They call me 'New Girl'...

Ever since I arrived at exclusive, prestigious Manderly Academy, that’s who I am. New girl. Unknown. But not unnoticed—because of her.

Becca Normandy—that’s the name on everyone’s lips. The girl whose picture I see everywhere. The girl I can’t compare to. I mean, her going missing is the only reason a spot opened up for me at the academy. And everyone stares at me like it’s my fault.

Except for Max Holloway—the boy whose name shouldn’t be spoken. At least, not by me. Everyone thinks of him as Becca’s boyfriend…but she’s gone, and here I am, replacing her. I wish it were that easy. Sometimes, when I think of Max, I can imagine how Becca’s life was so much better than mine could ever be.

And maybe she’s still out there, waiting to take it back.


My Thoughts
After stalking checking a few blogs I saw New Girl and really liked the sound of it.  When the publisher contacted me about reviewing the book and taking part in a blog tour I quickly accepted.  When the book arrived my first thoughts were how much I love the cover.  The front is definatley eye catching and the back is made of awesome.  It's a cork board with the synopsis 'stuck' onto it with pins and paper clips.
New Girl is told in alternating points of view, some form New Girl and others from Becca.  We get to see how each girl adjust to being at Manderly Academy, and in Becca's case, what eventually happens to her.  When New Girl is introduced I instantly liked her but felt sorry for her being pushed to the academy.  A childhood dream of wanting to go to boarding school like Harry Potter resulted in her parents yearly applying for school to send her, unbeknown to her, and eventually gets the treasured place at Manderly.

I disliked Becca.  I didn't like her attitude towards others and didn't like the way she played Johnny and Max but also disliked the way Max played her too.  As the book progress my feelings towards Max changed for the better, but it did take a while to get there.
When we first meet Dana I liked her and felt sorry for her.  She had lost her best friend and although she isn't little miss perky she had reason for being withdrawn. But as I got further into the book I began to strongly dislike her. Her attitude towards new girl was appalling as too were her actions.  In the end I thought she was sly, nasty and conniving.

Throughout New Girl we are never actually told new girls name.  It's not until the very end that her name is spoken once.  I thought this was a very ingenious way of keeping the character a 'new girl' both in the eyes of the other characters in the book, but also in our eyes.  It made me feel like an outsider along with her and made it easier to sympathise with her.

New Girl is recently a new genre to me so I am really happy that I enjoyed this book.  Paige has done a great job of making new girl likeable and believable, and also makes it easy to have strong feelings towards the other characters.  After finishing New Girl I intend to get hold of Paige's other books to read.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I've been planning on reading this book but it hasn't really been at the top of my to-read list though. Everyone seems to like it though and it sounds promising so I might just have to pick it up sooner than later (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really interesting how we don't hear the new girl's name till the end. I like how you said that keeps her as a 'new girl' in our eyes as well. I'll have to pick this book up now based on your review =)

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...