Saturday, 26 May 2012

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks


Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Author Info: Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: May 22nd 2012

Tell Me About It
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


My Thoughts
I have read a few books about merpeople and really enjoyed them so when Of Poseidon came up on netgalley I thought I would give it a go.  I am so happy to say it did not disappoint at all, in fact Of Poseidon turned out to be even better than my expectations of it.
I normally post a quick description of the book, but the synopsis says it all and I don't want to say too much in case I spoil it for those of you who have not yet read Of Poseidon.

The first thing I really liked was the friendship between Emma and Chloe.  They tease each other and are polar opposites, but the bond they have as friends is strong and you can see this in their actions with each other.  When we meet Galen and his sister Rayna I found it hard to decide what I felt about them.  When Rayna starts speaking I disliked her attitude but I thought Galen was hard to figure out, and even when he becomes a bigger part in Of Poseidon it took a while for me to like him and it's not until we get to hear his thoughts that his standoffish behaviour is explained, and then I felt sorry for how awkward he felt.  Rayna I did eventually warm up to, but I think my problem with her was her whole attitude, although her lack of information about human things did make me laugh a few times

I love Emma's Mum from the moment she is introduced, even more so when she meets Galen for the first time.  The twenty questions she asked him after already interrogated Emma were hilarious and I loved how Galen was put on the spot and had to come up with the desired answers.

Of Poseidon is full of awesomeness.  From the moment I began reading I did not want to put it down. It was easy to fall into the world Anna has created, not only because the characters are likeable and believable, but Anna has wrote a book that makes it so easy to escape into this imaginative world and get lost in the pages.  I was so engrossed in the book that I did not realise I had reached the end till my eReader kindly popped up with a message telling me I had no more pages left.

There was a sentence in the book that I literally laughed out loud to so I am going to share it with you, please remember this quote is taken off an egalley and may change in the finished version.
'As far as I can tell, chillin' is the equivalent of being in a coma, only awake.'
The ending. Oh the ending.  I am so disappointed in the ending of Of Poseidon.  The build up and tension leading up to the final pages had me on tenter hooks, and just as the identity is revealed the book ends.  I am so sad that I have to wait so long for next book but I am also impatiently waiting for it.  Please Anna, write very quickly.

1 comment:

  1. i hate waiting 4 tne sequel books in series also ^^

    tnx 4 the review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...