Sunday, 6 May 2012

Review: The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland (blog tour)


Title: The Summer My Life Began
Author: Shannon Greenland
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: USA:May 10th 2012|UK:May 10th 2012

Tell Me About It
Elizabeth Margaret—better known as Em—has always known what life would contain: an internship at her father’s firm, a degree from Harvard and a career as a lawyer. The only problem is that it’s not what she wants. When she gets the opportunity to get away from it all and spend a month with the aunt she never knew, she jumps at the chance. While there, Em pursues her secret dream of being a chef, and she also learns that her family has kept some significant secrets from her, too. And then there’s Cade, the laid-back local surfer boy who seems to be everything Em isn't. Naturally, she can’t resist him, and as their romance blossoms, Em feels she is living on her own terms for the first time.
[from goodreads]

My Thoughts
I don't tend to pick up and read this type of book but the synopsis had me intrigued so I requested a copy and was accepted and I am very happy to say that I really enjoyed The Summer My Life Began.

The main protagonist, Elizabeth Margaret, or Em as she likes to be called, lives with her Mother, Father and younger sister Gwyneth.  Her parents have extremely high expectations of both of their daughters and have their lives mapped out for them, ivy league education, doctor or lawyer as career and marry into a prestigious family.  Both girls also have to suffer through the weekly stuffy family meals with their Grandmother.
Everything changes one day when Em receives a postcard from an aunt Matilda she had never heard of, inviting her to Pepper House B&B for the summer.

From the moment I started The Summer My Life Began I could not did not want put it down.  Everything about it pulled me in, the characters, the writing, the scenery and then the twist in the story that I wasn't expecting.  I loved how Em became a different person with having the freedom to do what she wanted and it was nice to see her relax and enjoy life without the fear of retribution off her parents for doing something that was beneath her, like cooking and helping Beth cleaning.  The meals that Em makes sound amazing, and even though I am a very fussy eater I would defiantly give some of them a try.

I admire the relationships Em has with others.  She has a very close relationship with her sister which was one thing I loved and you could see how they were there for each other and helped each other out.  But I also enjoyed watching the relationships develop between the new people that she meets.  How she doesn't know her aunt but soon they have a very good relationship, as too with Frederick her cousin and Cade ♥.  I dislike the way her parents treated both Em and Gwyneth, but if they hadn't been so strict then Em wouldn't have felt the need to go away for the summer and have her life changed.

I love the area around Pepper House, the scenery, the laid back life and attitude of the people living there and how they are so open and friendly.  It sounds like the perfect place to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and I would jump at the chance if it was offered to me.

The Summer My Life Began was a great read and I will definitely be getting hold of more books by Shannon Greenland.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely review, my dear! This is actually the next book on my tbr-pile and I'm really excited for it, especially after reading your review now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! This is on my to-read pile for this month so I'm happy to see good things being said about it. Great review, Michelle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This review is kind of perfect. I really want to pick this book up instantly. I'll probably download it for my Kindle now, too. Just because of you! XD

    I was already a GFC follower, but I'm now following you via Linky as well! :)

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...