Saturday, 5 May 2012

Review: Tommy Nightmare by JL Bryan


Title: Tommy Nightmare
Author: JL Bryan
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Source: Author
Format: eBook
Publication Date: 9th April 2011

Tell Me About It
While Fallen Oak recovers from the Jenny pox, someone new is hunting Jenny.

Like Jenny, Ashleigh Goodling belonged to a pair of opposites with powers that mirror each other.

Now Jenny and Seth must face the opposite of love...
[from goodreads]

My Thoughts
Tommy Nightmare is another book that I have had for a while and only just got around to reading, and I really wish I had read it sooner.  In the first few pages we are introduced to Tommy and how he got his nickname 'Tommy Nightmare'.  His touch alone can bring nightmares to others, sometimes even killing them from fright.  Tommy has been entrusted to Mr and Mrs Tanner by the stae of Oklahoma, but after Mr Tanners father dies for fright Tommy steals money and runs away.

I found myself really enjoying Tommy Nightmare from the moment I started reading and managed to finish it in two sittings.  I liked how we get to see the aftermath of the 'Jenny Pox' and how it is being dealt with.  The town has been closed off and Heather, an expert epidemiologist is brought in to investigate the outbreak which as both Seth and Jenny worrying about the testing that is being done to find the cause.
New characters are introduced that have gifts, Esmeralda, Alexander and Tommy, and we learn more about opposing powers and how they work but that doesnt mean the having an opposite power works out. Sometimes mingling powers is the best and more powerful way to get things done and I can't wait to see how this plays out in Alexander Death.  I liked how Ashleigh makes a reappearance but she is even more manipulative than ever and I really dislike how she treats people, her friends and the people she wants things from.  I felt sorry for Darcy and how she was played in this book, but part of me thinks if she just stood up for herself then maybe she would have had a better chance of evading Ashleigh and not getting involved in the whole mess.

JL Bryan has done an amazing job on making Tommy Nightmare creepy and mysterious.  I never knew what plan Ashleigh would come up with to destroy Seth and Jenny and was constantly kept on my toes over what would happen next.  The multiple points of view for chapters and new characters introduced did not overwhelm the story, in fact they added to it and made it that much better.  I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next in Alexander Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...