Monday, 21 May 2012

Review: Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker


Title: Unbreak My Heart
Author: Melissa Walker
Author Info:Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Contemporary
Source: netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: 22nd May 2012

Tell Me About It
Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life. Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart? Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it,
[from goodreads]
My Thoughts
From the minute I started Unbreak My Heart I was hooked.  Clementime, the protagonist is spending her summer on board The Possibility, her families boat, with her Mum, Dad and sister Olive.  The summer break is a chance to get away from school and all the rumours and leave them behind, but means Clem will be spending time with her famly in a small cramped space with no way to escape.

When we first begin Unbreak My Heart we don't know what has happened to make the friendship between Clem and Amanda break down, just that it revolves around a boy called Ethan.  Slowly as the story gains momentum we get a glimpse into what happened between them and see how the once strong friendship is shattered into a million pieces over secrets and lies that were not intentionally meant to hurt anyone.
As Clem travels with her family she gets to meet James who is travelling with his Dad, but also has some things to hide.  Slowly we get to see this duo form a tentative friendship along the way.  But after James finds out the truth over what happened with Clem, he becomes distant, which forces Clem to take stock of the situation and eventually tells all to her family, who are more supportive than she realised they would be.

Unbreak My Heart is a very easy book to fall into and not resurface until the very end.  The places and scenery described sounds so beautiful it is tempting to want to be there.  Even the life on board The Possibility is described with the exact amount of detail so you know what is going on and get to experience it, but not too much to make it boring.

I liked getting the glimpses back into the past and watching the events unfold that caused the disolvement of Clem and Amanda's friendship.  Although I think things could have been done differently to put a stop to the drama before it happened, in the end both girl went about it the wrong way.
Clem is the perfect protagonist.  She is easy to like and relate to, everyone makes mistakes, Clem included, and we all learn from them.  She may have drowned herself in self pity for a while but that is what we all would do if put into her situation.  I adored her sister Olive, she reminds me so much of my brother that I found myself laughing at a lot of the things she did.  But I also like how Clem includes her in activities.
I loved James and felt he is the perfect person for Clem.  He manages to really see her feelings and know what she needs without her actually verbalising it. He also says the perfect things to her.  In Unbreak My Heart gives her a portrait he drew and his reason is
"So you'll remember what's real"
and after reading this book you will know the significance behind it, so I wont say too much about it.

Melissa Walker is an author I am definitely keeping my eye on and plan to read more of her great work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...