Sunday, 10 June 2012

Review: Clarity by Kim Harrington


Title: Clarity
Author: Kim Harrington
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Publisher
Format: UK proof
Publication Date: USA:March 1st 2011|UK:7th June 2012

Tell Me About It
Clarity “Clare” Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It’s a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare’s ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case—but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare’s brother—who has supernatural gifts of his own—becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

My Thoughts
I have been wanting to read Clarity since I first saw it, but have never gotten around to actually getting hold of a copy to read.  When I saw that it had been picked up by a UK publisher I was really excited, and luckily enough my request was accepted.

Clarity (Claire) lives with her brother Periwinkle (Perry) and their Mum.  Together they offer psychic readings for people, manly tourists.  Their Mum is a telepath, Perry is a medium and Claire's power is retrocognitive psychometry.  After a local murder, Claire is asked to assist in finding out who the murderer is but is only on a non-official basis.  She is paired up with newcomer Gabriel and her ex, Justin, to solve the crime.

After waiting so long to read Clarity I was a bit hesitant to start it just in case it didn't live up to my expectations and was relieved to find I really enjoyed it.  Clarity is a quick read and I managed to demolish the book in a few hours.  I absolutely love the cover for it, it's eye catching and I would defiantly pick this up in the shops if I saw it.  I laughed when the names were revealed, Claire is a normal name and Perry sounds ok, but having names like Clarity and Periwinkle, I would have changed my name myself.  From the moment I started reading Clarity I could not put it down.  The first chapter gives us a look into what is to come and the second one starts out normally at a shop, but before the chapter is over we get a look into the families powers at work and the murder is announced.  From then on we follow Claire as she not only tries to solve the murder, but also get her brother taken off the list of suspects.

I absolutely loved Claire and Perry's Mum.  Her ability to read minds ensued for some hilarious actions from her children to stop this from happening, and when she does read their or other's minds some things she say had me laughing.  I liked how she was strict in making sure they did things right and turning up for 'work', but also let them have freedom over a lot of other things and just relied on trust to make sure they were doing what they should be doing.
I felt sorry for Claire, not only with having to deal with Justin and how their relationship ended, but also for having her gift, it's hard for her to touch things without knowing if she will get a 'vision' or not.  I have to admire her determination to get the murder solved, even when it threatened her life, and for also working with her ex and a stubborn non-believer.  She makes some tough decisions and even after the book has finished she still has to make a choice over who she wants.

The characters all have their own distinct personality and voice and it was easy to keep track of who was who and what their role was in Clarity.  Kim Harrington has wrote a book that draws the reader in, and keeps us there till the book has finished with twists and turns that keep you guessing over what will happen next.  I am really looking forward to reading the next instalment, Perception, and I am tempted to buy the american version just to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...