Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass


Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter
Genre: Dystopian
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: 7th June 2012

Tell Me About It
Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret — one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever

My Thoughts
When I originally saw this book I was not interested at all.  I will admit to being a cover judger, and the cover of The Selection put me off.  I know a lot of people love the cover and the pretty dresses but it does nothing for me.  My opinions changed however, when I took a look inside The Selection on the publisher's website.  I was hooked straight away and knew I had to get hold of a copy somehow.

America lives in Illea, the people who live here are sorted into  castes, America and her family are three away from the bottom.  They struggle to make ends meet and when the chance comes for America to be part of the selection she reluctantly finally fills out the form and is surprised to be chosen as one of the thirty five girls that make up the selection.  Now America must leave her family and Aspen, whom her heart belong to, behind.

When we are introduced to Maxon I originally didn't think much of him, although the selection is not his doing I felt like he didn't do much to stop it. But as he spends time with America we get to see more of him and his personality and character begins to shine and I started warming up to him.  I loved how he has a mutual understanding with America, and that they can give advice to each other over the other girls. This was also one thing I admired America for.  She doesn't pretend to be anything she isn't and she wants what is best for her friends and not about winning the selection for herself.  I loved how she made time to greet the people who lined up to see them at the airport, but mostly her attitude towards her maids.  She treats them as friends and this relationship benefits both sides.

There are many girls that take part in the selection and they all have their own characteristics and personality.  One who I instantly disliked was Celeste.  She is self absorbed and selfish, and although I was surprised by how quickly I disliked her, as The Selection progresses I was glad to see my feelings were right.

The more I read The Selection, the more I fell in love with the characters and as the end was getting nearer and nearer I wanted to carry on reading and not stop.  When I finally reached the end I couldn't believe it.  The ending has got to be one of the worst cliff hangers ever and now I have to wait forever to find out what happens next.  Part of me wishes I had never read The Selection, then I would not have to go through all this torture waiting to find out what happens next, but part of me is glad I got to read this great book.

No matter what you have seen or read online regarding the author and the publicist, you should definitely give The Selection a try.


[I ended up getting a copy from netgalley as well as the UK publisher so I gave my paperback to a friend but this review acknowledges both sources] 

4 comments:

  1. I liked the book, but there was no closure and no resolution of any plot conflicts at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too! I was a little wary from the drama over Goodreads, but gave the book a shot anyways! I'm so happy because I couldn't stop reading it either :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope to get around to reading THE SELECTION soon, because it sounds über-awesome. I'm very happy that you liked it, too. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to give this one a try! Fab review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...