Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Rhiannon Paille guest post

Today I welcome author Rhiannon Paille with a guest post

About Rhiannon


I was never a normal girl. My life was an urban fantasy wrapped in a paranormal romance and served with a side of horror. To escape my everyday weirdness I began writing fantasy.
I studied at U of Sedona and MIMT, obtaining a PhD in Metaphysical Science and Parapsychology.
I'm married to a chef/comic book shop owner and I have a fondness for architecture.
I frequent twitter and facebook, but if you really want to get to know me you should visit my site: www.yafantasyauthor.com



Find Rhiannon
Website|Facebook|Twitter

Rhiannon's Books



Birthday Parties are over rated, Braces Parties are all the rage

My mom organized all sorts of things for my birthday parties when I was kid. Playzone, clowns, magic shows, pin the tail on the donkey, horseshoes, backyard games, goodie bags, chocolate cake, pizza dinners, the works. She'd lovingly encourage me to invite all the people I knew, which wasn't a lot when I was celebrating the single digits.

Being the gullible girl that I am, I'd invite fifteen, maybe twenty people. After I sent out the invitations I'd wait for the phone to ring for days . . . and days . . . and days. One call would come in, sometimes two, maybe three. Of all the people I'd invite to my birthday party, two or three people would show up. I used to think about the other girls in the class, people like Kristin and Amber who always had every kid in the school talking about their party and close to twenty or more people showing up.

I can't say I wasn't envious. The gifts alone completely outdid anything I ever got. And this is me being a greedy kid thinking only about the presents. I'm forgetting about the life long friendships they were building that I was missing.

After a lot of failed birthday parties I stopped trying. I don't remember celebrating my 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th birthdays. What I do remember about being 12 is getting my braces. Back then there was no such thing as invisalign and clear braces that blended into the mouth. Back then we had the silver studs and the colored elastics and every time we smiled it was like a horror movie in our mouths. I went with green elastics most of the time. They matched my green adidas jacket and were something I didn't mind looking at in the mirror everyday.

One year and seven months after they were glued to my teeth, my braces were removed. My teeth were shiny, smooth and straight. I had survived this major turning point in life. Sure, I was told I'd have to wear a retainer at night for the rest of my life to keep my teeth in good shape but I no longer had to go to school with my mouth full of green and wire.

I threw a party and everyone came, eleven people in total. There was nothing special about it, no cheesy clowns or pin the tail or birthday cake. I ordered pizza, we confiscated the basement, drank pop, watched movies and talked.

That was the best party during my teenage years, spontaneous, unexpected, and wickedly popular.

I can't say I turned into the Paris Hilton of my school after that, but I was definitely on the radar.

Namaste,
Rhi

P.S. I just want to wish Michelle a happy one year blogoversary! Congrats on passing this really amazing milestone! Can't wait to see what bigger and better things are in store!

1 comment:

  1. Low expectations and spontaneity can be the perfect ingredients for a magical experience! Great guest post. Happy blogoversary Michelle! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...