Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Saving June Blog Tour (Review)


Title: Saving June
Author: Hannah Harrington
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: USA:November 22nd 2011|UK:June 1st 2012

Tell Me About It
‘If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.’

Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going, California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.

Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down again.

My Thoughts
Harper is June's sister and also the person who discovered June's body.  After having to listen to he parents fight over splitting June's ashes, then finding things in June's room about California, Harper makes the decision to take June to California.  Stuck on how to get there, Harper and Laney end up letting Jake take them, it was either that or have him tell their parents the whole plan.  The journey toward California soon ends up being a turbulent ride, with emotions and tensions high will they all get there in one piece.

I want to start of my review by saying how strong I thought Harper was.  With her parents basically in pieces, Harper is one who bears the brunt of everyone's pity and casseroles and even manages to put together this rushed plan to get June to California.  As we get further into the book we get a look into Harper's true feelings of guilt and sadness till she eventually breaks down and I will admit to crying along with her.

I really loved the variety of characters in Saving June and each one had their own personality, which ended up with a lot of clashes between Laney and Jake, but also provided fodder for some entertaining verbal matches.  I liked Jake, even though he wasn't nice all the time and his way of getting 'in' on the trip was underhanded and sneaky, he was honest and never pretended to be something he wasn't. Near the end he reveals a secret he had been hiding, and although I didn't like him for keeping this secret I know he had good intentions behind it.  I loved the second meeting with Jake and Harper, where she finds out who he is in connection to June, and where he discovers she has made the connection.  The conversation about what he would do in regards to the trip made me laugh, especially this bit said by Harper.
"Wow. Your precise and in-depth knowledge of the legal ramifications is very helpful. And somewhat unsettling."
Laney I was never one hundred percent sure of.  I will admit she was a great friend to Harper during the wake and though most of the journey to California, but at some parts I thought she was selfish and didn't really think about what Harper was doing or saying and only thought about what was better for her.

On the way this unlikely group makes various stops,  One stop was to visit Jakes friend and they end up being caught in a protest that quickly turns violent.  I didn't see how this riot related to the story or made it progress further.  The stop for Robot Suicide Squad show, while it didn't progress the story, it was hilarious to read.  I loved the mosh pit and 'mentally' punching the man when in fact she actually punches him.  I actually laughed out loud reading this part.

In the final few chapters Harper finally get closure and it was very emotional to read, and also talk about in my review, and although its not a happy return home it does slowly help Harper heal herself and make a small start at not exactly getting over Harper,but in moving forward with her life.

Kim Harrison has wrote a book that takes you on an emotional roller-coaster ride full or tears and laughter, but a book that I will read over and over.  At the back of the book there are three soundtracks and they can all be found by following these links (the soundtracks are made in spotify):
Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum|Say My Name|Saving June

There  are a few songs that I know of and also have on my own ipod, Under pressure by Queen featuring David Bowie, Daniel by Elton John, Hey Jude by the Beatles, Take a Chance On Me by Abba, Fix you by cold play.

But my favourite song has to be let it be by the Beatles.

2 comments:

  1. It's bad, but I kind of laughed at the mental image of parents fighting over her sister's ashes. I started imagining an ash fight... anyway, this book sounds really good, I'm glad I saw this post! Contemporary road trip??? I'll definitely be reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is great and you should defiantly give it a try. If I hadn't have read it myself then I would probably laughter at the mental image myself.

      Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...