Friday, 13 July 2012

Review: Circle of Silence by Carol M. Tanzmin


Title: Circle of Silence
Author: Carol M. Tanzman
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Mystery
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: July 24th 2012

Tell Me About It
THE BIGGEST STORY OF MY LIFE COULD BE HOW IT ENDS It's my turn to run a "Campus News" crew, and I've put together a team that can break stories wide open. And Washington Irving High has a truly great one to cover, if only we can find a lead.

A secret society has formed in our school. It announced its presence with pranks: underwear on the flagpole, a toilet in the hallway, cryptic notes. A circle of silence keeps the society a mystery. No one knows its members, agenda or initiation secrets-until a student lands in the hospital under "strange" circumstances.

I "will" blow this story wide open and stop others from being hurt...or worse. And while my ex, Jagger, might want to help, I don't trust him yet. (And, no, not because of our past together. That is "not" important to this story.)

But whether you find me, Valerie Gaines, reporting in front of the camera, or a victim in the top story of the newscast...be sure to watch "Campus News" at 9:00 a.m. this Friday.

My Thoughts
The minute I found out about Circle of Silence I knew I had to read it. I really enjoyed Dancer Girl and I like how Circle of Silence is set in the same school. The first pages into the book are the prologue, which grabs your attention from the get go and you HAVE to keep reading to find out what led up to this event.

Valerie Gaines is the protagonist, she is the producer for Team B campus news, and together with her friend Marci, ex boyfriend Jagger and a few other students they produce news segments every other week for school. After someone chalks the initials 'MP' onto the floors at the school, Marci and Val put it down to the opposing school Marshall Prep, but as more things start to happen, pranks becoming dangerous and life threatening, Team B investigates and soon Val is receiving threats. She has to find out who or what MP is before it's too late.

Circle of Silence is mainly told in Valerie's point of view, but we occasionally get a point of view from the 'mp log' and immediately I wanted to know who this group of people is and what their agenda is.
When Jagger was first introduced I thought he was only in the team for a free ride and he hardly contributed to any of the work. As the story progresses we get to see him make decisions and choices that in the end, affect not only himself but his fellow team mates. Near the end I admired him for his courage, even though what he did was stupid.

I really liked the friendship Val and Marci had together and love how they helped each other out in different aspects of their school life. As the events unfold Marci is reluctant to continue investigating and wants to involve an adult, Val, who has more clues to upcoming meetings, wants to try to stop MP from hurting someone else. While I admire how she stuck by it and continued to work at the mystery till it was solved, I do think she should have involved an adult in it. When the identity of MP is revealed I didn't suspect the people who were named and was surprised about one in particular.

I thoroughly enjoyed Circle of Silence, the suspense of not knowing what would happen next or what prank would be pulled constantly kept me on the edge of my seat, the story was so compelling and I had to keep reading to find out what happens. Once again another great book from Carol, and I would love to see another book set in the same environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...