Monday, 2 July 2012

Review: Devilish by Maureen Johnson


Title: Devilish
Author: Maureen Johnson
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: USA:Sept 7th 2006|UK:7th June 2012

Tell Me About It
Wickedly funny high school satire - what would you give to be popular?
Ally and Jane may not be that popular but they're good friends...that is until they each get allocated a freshman, a 'little', to show the ropes to at school.
Cracks begin to show as Ally changes into a whole different person, literally overnight. She's dressed better, making new friends, and ditching Jane more and more. But Ally's transformation has its price. And it's up to Jane to save her former BF from a ponytail-wearing, cupcake-nibbling devil in disguise!

My Thoughts
When I was contacted by the publishers about Devilish I loved the cover instantly.  After reading the synopsis I knew I had to read it so replied with a great big YES PLEASE.  When Devilish arrived I actually noticed who the author was and was pleasantly surprised.  I have read The Name of the Star, 13 Little Blue Envelopes and The Last Little Blue Envelope and I loved them all so was excited to make a start on this.

My first impressions of the book were how much I loved Jane. She made me laugh and I liked her personality, she was instantly a character I loved.  I really admired her for how she tried to help Ally, even after she knew what was going on, she stood for what she felt was right whether it was for her benefit or not.
Lanalee seems like a sweet person initially and I love how she stood up to A3, but as the book progressed I started to have doubts over her credibility as a friend.  Once her secret was revealed it didn't seem to bother her, in fact I felt like she became even more self centred and egotistical.


Jane's sister Joan is so gullible and clueless and Jane takes advantage of this a lot, but she is adorable in her own unique way.  She reminds me of a younger version of myself, my Dad doing the same thing to me on a lot of things and I actually believed him.  He still tries to catch me now but I like to think I am more likely to think most things through before I believe him. Some of the things that Joan believes made me laugh out loud and I did feel sorry for her, although I was glad to see Jane actually ask her for help.  I love the following exchange between the sisters and I got funny looks for laughing out loud while reading it.
"Neutral charge," I corrected her. "Protons are positive. Neutrons are neutral. And neuter is what we did to Crick so he wouldn't hump every spaniel in town."


The world that Maureen has created in Devilish is believable.  The characters all have their own unique quirks and personality, but the varied mix of people made the book work so well.  There were moments I laughed, moments I thought 'what are they doing!!!' and I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen next.  I was so engrossed in Devilish that I managed to finish it in a few hours and reluctantly put it down when I had finished.  Anyone who is a fan of Maureen needs to read Devilish.

3 comments:

  1. I loved Devilish! Fabulous for girls who rescue themselves and don't wait for guys to do it for them. And hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really cute cover. And I love Maureen. How did I not know about this book before?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...