Monday, 30 July 2012

Review: Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry


Title: Pushing The Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: USA:July 31st 2012|UK:3rd August 2012

Tell Me About It
"I won't tell anyone, Echo. I promise." Noah tucked a curl behind my ear. It had been so long since someone touched me like he did. Why did it have to be Noah Hutchins? His dark brown eyes shifted to my covered arms. "You didn't do that-did you? It was done to you?" No one ever asked that question. They stared. They whispered. They laughed. But they never asked.

So wrong for each other...and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

My Thoughts
I had seen and heard about Pushing The Limits before it's release and I really liked the sound of it so was very excited to receive a copy from the publisher. Echo is still coming to terms with the death of her brother, Aires, and all she has left of him is his 1965 corvette that he was fixing up, and she refuses to give it up without a fight. To keep it she needs a job, and her clinical social worker has the perfect job, tutoring Noah Hutchins.

When I began reading a few things jumped out at me immediately. I loved echo. I didn't like her Father. Her Stepmother was self-absorbed.
We don't get to know straight away what exactly happened to Echo, but as the gaps are filled in and we learn alongside Echo, then we get to see the whole picture, some of her Fathers behaviour towards Echo can then be rationalised and accounted for, but not all of it. Even after it was all revealed I still think he went about things the wrong way, and his controlling attitude was not healthy for Echo. I do have to say though, that to go through what she went through and still be able to mostly function in the real world is amazing.
As I made my way through Pushing The Limits I loved how we get to see Echo come out of herself more, thanks to Noah and a supportive friend, Lila. Echo begins to believe in herself more, not only her talents but also her own physical appearance, and I loved watching it happen before my eyes.

My fist impression of Noah was I didn't like him much, his whole attitude, not only towards others, but towards life stunk, but as his background is revealed I began to feel sorry for him and slowly understood why he had the attitude he does. As the story progress it was hard not to fall in love with Noah, how he acts around Echo and wants to be there for her makes up for his bad first impression. Noah's brothers, Jacob and Tyler, are both in foster care. Noah gets supervised visits to see them but he wants them back for good. To do this he needs to stop his attitude and get better in school to prove he is responsible.
Although Noah and Echo know each other a little, they do not get on initially and wind each other up, pushing all the right buttons to get a bad reaction off each other. As this duo learns more about each other they begin to open up to each other, and what starts out as dislike end up being something more.

Pushing The Limits was an amazing read that I could not put down. I love the dynamics each character has with their own friends, Isaiah,Beth, and Lila, but I also loved the relationship Noah has with his brothers. Each characters individuality and personality made it very interesting when they were together and I loved seeing the sparks fly, good and bad, whenever they were around each other.

The world that Katie has created is believable it was so easy to fall into the pages. By the end of the book you are so emotionally invested in the characters that you don't want to see the book come to an end. There is a teaser for a new book, Dare You To, and it makes me want to read it even more, to want get back to this world and the characters and take another journey with them. Pushing The Limits is a must read.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but think I have a proof of this somewhere! We got it in at the shop yesterday and I'm not a massive fan of the cover.
    Brill review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...