Thursday, 26 July 2012

Review: Slow Twitch by Liz Reinhardt


Title: Slow Twitch
Author: Liz Reinhardt
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult (Mature)
Source: Purchased by myself
Format: Kindle
Publication Date: March 29th 2012

Tell Me About It
Summer scatters three friends, ties them back together, and makes them question who they have been and who they want to be in the future.

Brenna expected to soak up the knowledge of great Irish writers at her summer workshop in Dublin. But there are some things even the best books can't teach you, and a passionate new friend and an old familiar full of surprises challenge Brenna to follow her heart. By the time she's back in the States, she can't wait to throw herself back into Jake's arms and tell him exactly what he means to her.

She puts the brakes on that plan when it becomes clear that Jake may not be ready to shoulder any more. He visits his family's palatial home in the mountains of New York, and is exposed to all the possibilities a life surrounded by his pampered relatives and washed in money would hold for him. But is it possible to accept so much and not change who you are? Jake has to face the reality that changing sometimes means losing things...but how much is he willing to put on the line?

Saxon has been thrust into a life of drudgery and indentured service he never dreamed of after a brush with the law puts him on family-enforced probation. Who would have thought Sussex County's resident bad-ass layabout would fall head-over-heels in love with a girl, an elderly aunt, and a shot at a whole new life. The problem is, he's a Maclean to his marrow, and it's in his blood to be a selfish screw-up. Isn't it?

Brenna, Jake, and Saxon spend one summer growing up, working things out, and doing their best to weather the changes that get thrown their way. But can the love and friendships of one amazing summer last through the ups and downs of the coming years?

My Thoughts
I have followed this series from book one, and as soon as I saw Slow Twitch I knew I had to get a copy. I picked it up a few days after publication but have only just gotten around to reading it now. A lot of things happened in the previous book, Junk Miles so I had no idea what would happen in this book but was excited to actually be able to sit down and read it.
Slow Twitch is split into three points of view, Brenna, Jake and Saxon. At the beginning of the book Brenna is in Ireland, Jake is spending time with his Dad, and Saxon has been shipped off to live with his Aunt Helene and work in the family Diner.

We start Slow Twitch with Brenna as she is leaving for Ireland. As she is getting to the dormitories she meets Evan and I instantly loved her. She is just what Brenna needs to bring her out of her shell more and I really enjoyed the chapters where they have fun, and go on pub crawls, and gossip :D.
Saxon is literally thrown into the deep end with the diner, his first day involves him getting dirty...with dishes, and his first attempt at getting a girl completely fails, I absolutely loved Cadence and her sarcastic attitude towards Saxon and was happy to see that not every girl wants to jump into bed with him.
I did feel sorry for Jake. Finding his real Dad and having the chance to live with him over the Summer was a huge reality check for Jake, having gone from no money to a house so full of everything he could ever want, but with a family that look down their noses at him. I just wanted to pick him up out of the pages and give him a hug.

As Slow Twitch progresses we get to see Brenna join Jake in his Dad's house and the reality of it all is hard to bare. I loved how we get to see Brenna and Jake rekindle their feelings, and I loved it when Brenna stood up to Caroline, I cheered her on so much. The best part of the visit to Jake's Dad was Jake punching his own Dad!!!!! It was a long time coming, and that one punch then leads the escape for Jake and Brenna and takes them to Saxon for 'Operation Rescue Saxon'

From the moment I started Slow Twitch I could not put it down. I enjoyed getting to see into the minds of this terrific trio and seeing how their own little stories eventually led them back to each other. I Love how Liz has made each character stand out with their own very distinct personalities, although my favourite character is Brenna, and Saxon comes way down on my list of likes, I have to say his point of view was the one I looked forward to reading the most. The way Liz has got into his mind and knows exactly what he would say is sheer perfection and I could not wait to get back to him to see what he would do or say next.

Slow Twitch has to be my favourite of the series, and part of me hopes it's not the last. Although Brenna and Jake get the ending they deserve, Saxon and Cadence still have a lot of their own story to tell and I would love to get just one book told from their point of view. I am very excited thogh that we get to see more of Evan in her own story, Fall Guy, in August.

In Slow Twitch, Brenna writes an essay for her time spent in school in Ireland, near the end of the book we actually get to find out what she has written, and the following quote is just a small part of it, but something that I really liked.

"Because love doesn't have a number or an end. It's big enough. Strong enough. Wild enough. To hold every extra ounce we can pour or wriggle or crowbar in. I'm in love twice. And that's just the beginning."

2 comments:

  1. That quote worries me! Brenna has always been a little confused... *sigh* young love...

    I still have this book on my wish list. Maybe I'll read it next year.. Gotta focus on my impending semester for now...

    Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle! Thank you, as always, for such a thoughtful, passionate, detailed review! I'm so glad you enjoyed *Slow Twitch,* and I love the quote you pulled from it :)!! Arianne - You KNOW it's always confusion where these crazy kids are concerned!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...