Thursday, 23 August 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Author Info: Website|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Purchased myself
Format: Hardback
Publication Date: UK:29th Sept 2011|USA:27th Sept 2011

Tell Me About It
"Errand requiring immediate attention. Come".

The note was on vellum, pierced by the talons of the almost-crow that delivered it. Karou read the message. 'He never says please', she sighed, but she gathered up her things.
When Brimstone called, she always came."

In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.

My Thoughts
I have had Daughter of Smoke and Bone sitting on my shelf for a while waiting to be read, and since I made a dent in my review pile and had a week spare to read my own books I decided to start this....the incentive of getting to read the sampler of Days of Blood and Starlight may had hedged my decision towards reading this book too ;)

Karou is the protagonist who lives in two worlds, the human world and magical world.  The human world is where Karou goes to school, takes art classes and spends time with friend Zuzana, while trying to avoid Kaz, her ex who doesn't seem to understand the word 'ex' and is constantly around like gum stuck to your shoe.  Her magical world is spent with her family, chimaera's Brimstone, Issa, Yasri and Twiga, Karou runs errands for Brimstone, using portals and doors to go from country to country collecting teeth for his deals.

From the momnet Karou is described to us I instantly liked her.  Blue hair and tattoos that all came into being from a simple of African trade beads.  This necklace however is more than trade beads, they are scuppy's, the smallest value of a wish, which explains the blue hair, knowledge of multiple languages, and removal of tattoos.  Wishes in Karou's world have different values but require different things in exchange for them.  I for one would never have imagined wishing for blue hair, yes it may be a waste of a wish, but at least I would have cool hair in the process.

As Daughter of Smoke and Bone progresses we get to learn why the hand prints are burnt into the doors and what the angels are on earth for.  Akiva, an angel who has a big role in the book, has a big history behind him and I really enjoyed getting to know him more.  While I did not like him at first, by the time I had nearly finished reading I began to see him in a different light.
The real truth behind Karou is also revealed, and while I didn't enjoy reading the whole history about her I did enjoy most parts of it.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a book I have been meaning to read for ages and now I wish I had read this book sooner.  The only good thing for me taking so long is at least now I don't have a long wait to read book 2.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Michelle I can't believe you hadn't already read this one! Glad you enjoyed it though, and like you say, now it's not too long to wait for the sequel :-)

    P.S. I'm a hypocrit I keep eyeing Fever and I've not started it yet...months on! No idea where the time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I cant believe you hadn't read it yet, I'm dying to get hold of book two! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sampler for book 2, and I want to read it but part of me wants to wait a bit so I dont have to suffer too long before the release :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...